SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Tonights "Seeing"

On checking the forecast tonight, it looks like so:

astro.php?lon=-1.74&lat=54.857〈=en&ac=0&unit=metric&output=internal&tzshift=0

So, extremely clear in terms of cloud, but not good in terms of seeing. I wanted to try and get a few pictures of Saturn tonight - does anybody think it's worthwhile or will it just be a waste of an hour or two?

I know people will say "can't hurt to try" but I have other things to be on with tonight if it's not worth it, so if it's really not going to be worth it please say that :blob10:

Can't hurt to try.

:blob10:

How are you going to take "pictures on Saturn"? If you use a webcam and capture lots of frames and stack them, it gets around bad seeing, well improves on bad seeing.

Anyway, I find 7Timer "seeing" forecasts a bit random. Based on low res GFS weather model so cannot be very accurate.

Cheers

Ian

Lastnight was awful. Tonight is predicted as the same, i know other guys on here who are pretty good with planetary imaging got some less than satisfactory results... So personally, i'd say it's not worth it, especially if you have other stuff to get on with. Saturn will be there another night.

It really was a stupid question wasn't it! Haha! :blob10:

Right, well, got a meeting until 9, then will put scope out and watch the 2nd half of the Sunderland game - and then come 10 o'clock it should be nice and cooled and ready for Saturn.

I rarely trust a forecast. Best way is to get out there and have a look! I've had clear nights forecasted with cloud, and vice versa. Seeing is usually okay - very rare that it is so bad that i've packed up after a few minutes.

I rarely trust a forecast. Best way is to get out there and have a look! I've had clear nights forecasted with cloud, and vice versa. Seeing is usually okay - very rare that it is so bad that i've packed up after a few minutes.

i usually look at the forcast then ignore it anyway, hate to think i might miss something

Archived