Narrowband

Is there such a thing as a reverse barlow (a reducer)

symbiosis

Hi - please excuse the naive question.

I have just modded a xbox cam and am quite pleased with it but the cam is like a 6mm EP on my scope and I want to capture the whole moon (which would be more like a 25mm EP)

Is there such a thing as a reducer that would take it down to a 25mm?

Thanks

Most images of the moon taken with a webcam are mosaics of many separate captures of parts of the moon stitched together. If you managed to fit the whole of the moon on a 640 x 480 webcam chip (i.e. by fitting a reducer), you would get a very disappointing 'blocky' low resolution image.

Unfortunately, if you want to get a decent image of the moon with your webcam, you're going to have to put the effort in and create a mosaic from many small sections of the moon! The most I've managed is one from around 20 captures. Some folk here have really put the hours in and created a mosaic of 50-60 captures.

you may well be right Demonperformer, again excuse the lack of knowledge. So what else might cause the lack of focusing?

I try to focus in and it seems to be coming into focus but i run out of distance at the scope end

I think it depends on the type of scope you have. You may need a low-profile focusser (which allows you to move further in towards the scope when focussing). Or, if your scope is a reflector, I believe there is a way of moving the primary mirror slightly 'up' the tube to move the focussing point further out of the focusser, allowing your eyepiece to reach it.

I have not actually had the problem, so hopefully someone with some actual experience will be able to provide more (better) input.

Archived