Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_terminator_challenge_winners.thumb.jpg.6becf44442bc7105be59da91b2bee295.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
steppenwolf

The Andromeda Galaxy - M31

I love this object, our nearest galactic neighbour, easy to find, easy to see but slightly tricky to capture without burning out the core and, because it is so large, a short focal length telescope is required to capture it in it's entirety!

In this case, I used my 200mm Canon telephoto lens and EOS 300D DSLR. 10 X 2 minute subs., dark frame subtracted and stacked in Registax 3 followed by a lot of time in PhotoShop to get the core/dust-lanes balance right and then bring out the surrounding bright stars without too many halos.

m31_rework_150707.jpg

Thats a brilliant example of what a DSLR can do, what they are best at doing.

Superb image!!!!

Russ

wow! Thats stunning.... I cant image this yet from my back yard, the house gets in the way, but looking forward to seeing it later in the year.

when it was taken?

This was part of a series of images I took last August but didn't get round to processing until now when the poor skies forced me to do something to keep my hand in as I am getting withdrawal symptoms! It always pays to keep every session of imaging you take as you just never know when they might come in handy.

Well that's whetted the appetite Steve! Excellent M31 :D

Can't say anything other than exceptional Steve.

Ok, I'll add beautiful too.

Ron. :D

Once again exceptional.

Amazing what a dslr can do.

And of course a lot of hard work.

A fantastic image there mate that illustrates some hard work. Great balance of all of the factors that combine to produce a fine finished article.

Regards,

Chris