Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The Andromeda Galaxy - M31

steppenwolf

I love this object, our nearest galactic neighbour, easy to find, easy to see but slightly tricky to capture without burning out the core and, because it is so large, a short focal length telescope is required to capture it in it's entirety!

In this case, I used my 200mm Canon telephoto lens and EOS 300D DSLR. 10 X 2 minute subs., dark frame subtracted and stacked in Registax 3 followed by a lot of time in PhotoShop to get the core/dust-lanes balance right and then bring out the surrounding bright stars without too many halos.

m31_rework_150707.jpg

when it was taken?

This was part of a series of images I took last August but didn't get round to processing until now when the poor skies forced me to do something to keep my hand in as I am getting withdrawal symptoms! It always pays to keep every session of imaging you take as you just never know when they might come in handy.

Archived