Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

PST - my first solar prominence

russ

We had some serious amounts of rain today but it's clear now.....not much good seeing it's dark though. Never thought i'd hear myself say "i don't want a clear night sky, just clear sunny skies".

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Rus

HA solar astronomy will do that to you.

I think at some point i will probably go total solar as where my kit is concerned.

Maybe just keep a big pair of bins...

Thats if my (one day soon to be) observatory doesn't work out..

I would just love the 90mm Coronado HA scope....

saying that i was using the PST last weekend, saw three pairs of prominces on the western limb, great stuff!!

Weather would not hold for imaging though.

Now my new barlow has arrived i am hoping to get some decent solar images next weekend perhaps.

Though i need also to get a decent mount for the thing. That is going to be the challenge i think

I might sometime just bite the bullet and buy a custom motorised tripod for it.

I'll keep u posted!

Al

saw three pairs of prominces on the western limb, great stuff!!

they were indeed :lol:

Weather would not hold for imaging though.

tell me about it :D

Possible sunny spell tomorrow....fingers crossed!

Russ

hmm yeah but the planets are going into a bit of a lull for a few years now. Jupiter has been pants for 3 years and doesn't recover until 2011. Last decent year for Mars for quite some time. And Saturn's rings are closing. Tell me i'm wrong and I'll hang onto the ED80 :D

hmm yeah but the planets are going into a bit of a lull for a few years now. Jupiter has been pants for 3 years and doesn't recover until 2011. Last decent year for Mars for quite some time. And Saturn's rings are closing. Tell me i'm wrong and I'll hang onto the ED80 :D

Well seeing as you put it like that mate!! Jupiter will start getting better from next year (or is it the one after) and the features on Mars are usually well defined enough to stand low altitudes. I've never been a big fan of Saturn, it one to show people when they come round but I find it a bit static.

Be a shame no to see Jupiter.....I really miss it not being high. I agree with you regards Saturn. It's a real show stopper for non astro types but doesn't hold the attention like Jupiter and Mars. And it's the same with the sun in Ha. Different everytime :D

Russ

• 1 year later...

I took delivery of my new PST today and - you guessed it - not a glimmer of sun all day :D

I have been into astronomy for around 25 years, I had to sell my trusty etx125 two years ago and now its time to get back into it. I plumped for a PST after seeing all the reports from delighted owners and hope it was a good choice.

One question - I see you got the nexImage, do you know if it will work straight in the eyepiece like the LPI does? I plan to get into some imaging and look forward to hearing your feedback.

I think I will be in the works car park tomorrow morning 8)

Andy

Archived