PST - my first solar prominence

russ

PST my first light

A rather dodgy start to my time with the PST. Used the little wibbly wobbly table tripod perched on some books looking out the office window. Needless to say the view was Rubbish. A big red blob bouncing around like a beach ball!

So took it down to the car park and plonked it on the car roof. Put my flourescent survey jacket over my head and got nicely dark adapted. I must have looked a real prize plonka!

The tripod was completely ueless but at least it was an improvement on the office view. Things were too wobbly to play around with the tuning ring, couldn't even focus properly.

I could see the sunspot and a mottled effect on the disk....looked like an orange with a maggot hole! Best way to descibe it.

Decided I was attracting too much attention from road gangs in the highways depot to carry on.

So left work at the earliest opportunity to get home and bung the PST on the CG5.

image.jpg

WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!!

Oh boy what a sight!

A quick play with the tuning ring and I saw my first prominence. Changed from the 12mm Kelner that came with the PST to my Antares Elite 7.5mm. WOW what a view!

Play more with the tuning ring and found a nice sweet spot between disk detail and the prominence.

Been a long time since I was that excited. Can't wait for the next chance to view. And I can see why people get hooked on solar observing. It's not like the moon or even Saturn where the view is the same everytime. It something different everytime. Wonderful!

And bring on the solar maximum!

More to follow and hopefully with some webcam shots too. :D:lol::p:lol::)

Russ

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Certainly sounds interesting, one thing that I've always wanted to have a go at - but it's a little too expensive for me at the moment.

Glad you're enjoying yourself, looking forward to the images.

Ant

Superb....

They are cracking bits of kit....I'm glad you managed a bit of sunshine to try it out..

Put my flourescent survey jacket over my head and got nicely dark adapted. I must have looked a real prize plonka!

:lol:

Still saving up for mine..... :D

I've been on the fence for a few years about getting a PST. The thought of sinking nearly all my budget into one little scope that's a one trick pony doesn't sound a wise move. But it's hard to describe just how good it is.

Even my wife came out to look at the prominence and she normally takes no interest at all. Simply stunning, up there with seeing Saturn and Jupiter for the first time. :sunny:

Russ

Great report Russ. I know how you feel, and agree the first time is up there with first views of Saturn for excitement. Everyone I show it to seems to be impressed too - husband, friends (one has bought one!), nephews, parents, in-laws.. Even got my 73-year-old mother-in-law in the garden with a towel over her head going WOW!

And its constantly changing, even during a day, I keep popping out to see when I get the chance ( :D)

Once you sort the webcam bit out you can give me some lessons - I'm still struggling a bit with that!

Enjoy! and roll on solar maximum

Helen

Hi Helen, I hadn't actually asked him this time. He was so gutted and down after we didn't make it to Wales, I've kept completely quiet about Salisbury. I was planning on telling him the day we go :D So hopefully he will be there.

Russ

There you go Rus, a whole new experience has opened up for you. I have never seen solar prominences live, but exciting accounts like you have just given, are the very mechanisms that drive this way of life of ours, and furthers the knowledge of all who partake.

Very helpful, and roll on the images.

Ron. :D

Does Solar Film even compare to a PST? The skies are clear here during the day but cloud over when it gets dark (well, darker than daytime... :D)

I have spent a little time outside when its sunny, just baking away on the sun lounger reading my magazines. But I was thinking about getting some Baadar film for the StarHopper and baking while I enjoy the Solar views.

see this is the thing

I bought a 6mm eyepiece, plugged it into the PST, and the sun would not even fill the FOV?

Still trying to work out what i am doing wrong, i hope the new barlow i ordered helps.

i need more time to play i guess. Will be hopefully using it this weekend!

Al

Superb....

They are cracking bits of kit....I'm glad you managed a bit of sunshine to try it out..

Put my flourescent survey jacket over my head and got nicely dark adapted. I must have looked a real prize plonka!

:lol:

Still saving up for mine..... :D

there, there. you can get a fluorescent jacket for less than £30, I"m sure... :p

Can't recommend it enough :sunny:

Got out again Wednesday after work. Much better view this time. Really starting to get the hang of it now. More prominences, more disk detail :D

I'll be bringing the PST to Salisbury, so anyone who hasn't tried one can sample the PST there. Actually I think there maybe a few there.

And hopefully my bargain Meade #140 barlow from Ebay will arrive tomorrow. Apo barlow with lens that unscrews....perfect....hopefully! Celestron Neximage (another Ebay bargain) arrived yesterday. So hopefully the imaging elements are in place.

Russ

Steve, I think rus has just earned himself commission!

I am certain that I will one day operate a PST. But here's the question: can one take the etalon in the PST and plug it in the optical train of another scope?

Archived