Narrowband

The best thing about galaxy hunting...

WayBig

I use my Baader zoom for everything if it's a crowded field, otherwise I tend to find the object with low or medium power then switch to high.

Low power alone can be sufficient for very large galaxies (e.g. Messiers), and at a light-polluted site may be the only thing that works. But for viewing small, faint galaxies at a dark site you need high power - they won't be visible with anything else. With my 12" it's the 6mm TMB that gets most use.

In my most recent session I only used the 22mm T4. Usually I switch around between 31 T5, 22 T4, 17 T4 and 12 T4 (especially for SN spotting). Very rarely I use the 40mm Paragon (for rich groups like in Virgo), because the 31T5 does that (and searching) so well. The 22 T4 is the workhorse, the 17T4 gets used on more compact ones, unless the skies are great, when it becomes the workhorse.

I agree with this (almost) completely. I use my 26mm Nagler (70x) generally speaking and occasionally switch to my 13mm Ethos (140x) for a closer look. Usually though the 26mm offers the best view and I put that back again for a further look. It's good to have less eyepieces in some ways but I am glad I don't when it comes to planetary observing.

I use low power to find the galaxy but then often use higher powers to examine it in detail. Increasing the magnification has the effect of darkening the background sky which helps with the contrast of faint objects. I was most often using an 8mm eyepiece to view the recent supernova in the galaxy M95 - that's 150x in my 10" newtonian. At lower magnifications I found the supernova harder to spot.

I use low power to find the galaxy but then often use higher powers to examine it in detail. Increasing the magnification has the effect of darkening the background sky which helps with the contrast of faint objects.

I've found the opposite, I use my 31mm and 25mm 90% of the time because when I try higher power EP's I seem to get a drop in contrast so I lose any kind of definition and becomes harder to spot the fuzzies.

Presume thats because your using a bigger scope than my 8" John?

Archived