SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M51

MikeD

My intended target for Friday night was NGC3628 (one of the Leo trio).

After running 5 or so hours on that and only getting data at 300 seconds that looked more like flat frames than light frames, due to the mist in the air catching the LP and throwing it back at the scope.

I was about to call it a night but noticed that at that time ( around 12.50 AM) M51 was right overhead and escaping most of the orange glow in the sky from the LP.

So I set a run on M51 and went to bed and set the alarm for 5am not expecting much better results.

I ended up with 38 usable frames before dawn got the better of the data.

So here it is an unplanned image of M51 taken with my usual setup of 10" newt and HX916 CCD.

I have also thrown some colour and Ha from 2010 at the luminance.

Thanks for looking,

Mike.

miked-albums-mikes-images-2-picture16440-m51-l-38xx-4.jpg

Fridays Data with colour from 2010.....

miked-albums-mikes-images-2-picture16441-m51-l-hargb-38xx-5-copy.jpg

Blinkin-Heck Mike, What an incredible image of M51. The detail in the spiral arms is nothing short of amazing, particularly in the luminance shot, they just seem to pop that bit more for me. i'm looking forward to seeing your very final image.well done!

Archived