Narrowband

Best Eyepiece Sets

Hi Stargazers,

I have an 8 inch Dob still as standard. I am looking to buy an eyepiece kit with a few decent sizes. I would like a good all rounder as I am interested in seeing as much as possible ie planets, galaxies, nebulas and the moon. I would like a 2x barlow as well. All with in the 100 pound mark if possible. :blob10:

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I don't know were to start.

Many thanks for your help!!!

If you have to get a kit then the Revelation is the better option imho. But to be honest I doubt you'll use every piece - I reckon you'd get more out of two decent eyepieces and a good barlow for around £120 for all three. :blob10:

I have the Revelation kit and have no complaints at all, it comes with filters which, apart from the moon filter, I don't really use, but the quality seems fine and will keep me going until I get more experience and get a couple of top notch ep's.

If you select the right kit for you then I think you will use all the eyepieces. Now I couldn't afford a kit when I started but over time built up an equivalent collection of plossls - 32, 26, 20, 15, 12, 9, 6.4. Depending on the target and the conditions I had an eyepiece for evey occasion and they all saw good use.

I like the GSO Revelations and Meade 4000 Series but there other options available to you as well.

I have the Revelation kit too and the eps do seem to work fine in a 200P, better still in the Tal 100RS. I have swapped out he x2 barlow for a Tal x2 barlow and added the two Tal eps that came with the 100RS (25 & 6.3mm plossls) to make quite a good little set in my humble opinion. Great to use when out showing others the scopes and not wanting to use my more expensive eps for fear of damage or loss, eekk!!

Doc

If you have to get a kit then the Revelation is the better option imho. But to be honest I doubt you'll use every piece - I reckon you'd get more out of two decent eyepieces and a good barlow for around £120 for all three. :blob10:

I tend to agree with this. Although there is nothing wrong with the EP kits.

Thank you to all for your help!!! Lots of great advice as always!!

OK so lets say I was to scrap the kit idea then. I am pretty settled on the Tal 2x Barlow from flo. From what I have read, that seams to get a lot of good reviews and it would seam good value for money. Just curious though - What are peoples thoughts on the 3x?

Now I'm stuck for the, lets say two other eyepieces. What sizes should I be looking for and what make & mode should I go for. As much as it pains me to do so I'm going to have to say budget ones. However as the barlow is going to effectively give me two eyepieces from one I could maybe look at using the budget to buy just one eyepiece.

I think my priority would be to see more detail on planets as there about all I seam to be able to find at the moment lol.

Thank you once again!!

25mm (barlowed 12.5mm) and a 18mm(barlowed 9mm) bst explorers.

with a tal barlow, should come in at around £120 for all.

you can pick different length of e/p if you wanted,thats just an example.

but the hyperion zoom, would be tempting for a few more quid if you dont mind compromising the f.o.v a bit.

the bst's give around 60 degree f.o.v

I would also go along with Brantuck, in as much a variety of ep`s instead of a kit, this would include such as an Orthoscopic for planetary work then perhaps a very wide field unit for DSO etc, there is also the zoom variety to consider. There is nothing wrong with ep kits except you are limited to one make and range :blob10:

John.

Archived