Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Sunflower galaxy

Quatermass

Hope to spend a bit more time with this one tonight but I am tempted by other subjects if it remains fog free but its been a lovely sunny day so it seemed appropriate to have a go at the sun flower galaxy.:blob10:

40x1min subs ISO 1600 20 darks and flats

Sunflower%2520Galaxy%2520Ursa%2520Major%2520master.jpg

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Noo - arrrrr not incoming .....

Just been out to check, we're still clear here (although not brilliant - never waste any opportunity to image). Started off another set of 20 subs om M65 triple .........

Hope it's makes a retreat for you x

Ive just called it a night here in the Midlands, its a bit of an orange soup parade out there now, was 'ok' until 10mins ago and the fog came in thick and fast :p

Your image is great QM, its always good to see someone create such good images even with what would be known as 'limited gear' im aiming toward your standard so its a bit of a target :blob10: Keep up the good work and keep us 'middle range imagers' going :o

I've got a question QM if you don't mind, as you now own both an shortish focal length frac and a 200p, would you recommend a Newt for galaxy imaging? my only OTA has a FL of 388mm so I'm wondering if I'm losing a lot of detail using such a wide field scope for such small objects, I've been trying to work out what second OTA to get if this is the case, I've been looking at both the starwave F7 frac and a 150p/pds so far, I'll give you a piece of eight for your thoughts:D

Thank you eddy very kind I belive that learning to process my images and get the most from your data really helps. Its taken me ages to learn all that and im still learning. Not having much dosh to throw at this hobby makes you get the most out of everything.

Sent from my GT-S5670 using Tapatalk

How you finding your Starwave so far Eddie? is their a noticable amount of blue halo on bright stars? and are you imaging at f/7 if so how much signal are you getting on your subs? quite like the 3 inch focuser on these,I curse the focuser sag on mine at the moment ggrreer:D

Starfox, there is 'some' blue halos but nothing compared to my old achromat! lol :blob10: So for me, its a bit of a god sent, but its still there im afraid, but what do you expect out of a 'cheap ish' ED? :o

I am imaging @ F7 and get some coma toward the edge, but again, nothing major, would be an issue for some though, depends how finicky you are, and for me, as its all pretty new, im not that finicky.

With regard 'signal on my subs' not sure how to measure or explain this! LOL

The focuser is superb, nice and tight, and no sag at all :p

Yes a newt for galaxys is a good bet. My 200p does a nice job on galaxys but the ed80 will now be for large nebula and wide field imaging. I guess it depends on what you like imaging the most :blob10:

Sent from my GT-S5670 using Tapatalk

Here is my quick attempt at the Leo Triplet through the Starwave 80ED, by no means perfect, but for me, it was a good result!

Imaged @ F7

EOS 350D

EQ5 with Motors

35 x 60sec unguided

post-19027-133877752405_thumb.jpg

The focus was a little soft, i have an 80mm bahtinov that fitted my Zenithstar 80, but the dew shield on the 80ED is a little oversized so it wont fit....im awaiting a delivery from various companies with various bits, and one of the things is a new mask! lol

So thats 1 improvement, the other would have been more subs but it was getting late :blob10:

Thanks for the compliment though QM, appreciate it, i have to admit though i am more interested in Nebulae than i am Galaxies, though at the moment it seems that every galaxy out there is in good view, so i should spend some time on those really, bit of a mission for this week i think.....

Archived