Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Celestron Power Tank 17 Not Charging Any Ideas Why ? *Sorted* :-)

Hi all

I came to use my Celestron power tank yesterday and it was completely dead :D I have a feeling I may have left in on since the last time it was used ( a few weeks ) so I plugged in the charger switched the switch to charge and the charging light comes on for a second you then hear a click like something tripping inside the powertank and the light just goes out and the unit does not charge :lol:

Have I killed it ?

Dave

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd think, if it was a fuse at fault - the thing wouldn't come on at all. The fact it does for a few seconds is worrying.

However - my old Nokia phone was like that/ If it wasnt charged for a while, when you charged it up, it never showed any evidence of charging, but it actually WAS. Maybe leave it charging for a couple of hours, then see how it's working?

Does it click again after a few seconds? I#m thinking there might be an overload device on the charger input that shuts it down if the charge current is too high. If this resets itself you might find that the charge current drops enough after a few goes to keep the overload from turning off. Maybe the charge current is very high as its fully discharged.

Kaptain Klevtsov

Does it click again after a few seconds? I#m thinking there might be an overload device on the charger input that shuts it down if the charge current is too high. If this resets itself you might find that the charge current drops enough after a few goes to keep the overload from turning off. Maybe the charge current is very high as its fully discharged.

Kaptain Klevtsov

No after its tripped it does nothing no matter how long I leave it :D if I switch it of charge and then back again it just does the same with the charging light coming on for a second then it trips

I think that the battery is completely drained

the only idea I have had is if I could perhaps trickle charge it thru one of the lighter outputs does anybody know if they are outputs only ? I have a solar panel charger that you can plug into a cigarette lighter socket to charge car battery's etc..

Dave

You need to get of a deep cycle re-charger..The ones they use on motorcycles

Remove the battery if you can...Then if that doesn't do the trick you can pop the battery to your local dedicated battery supplier...

The sort of place that deal with the trade...If it needs replacing then you'll find it's quite reasonable..

Lead acid batteries don't take to being fully discharged, however they can be restored with a deep recycle charger..

Unless it's a dead cell then it's a replacement jobbie.

HTH

Greg

Well I removed the battery from the unit today and I am currently charging it using a car battery charger the charger does have a setting for this type of battery so will see how it goes

I will say that it is charging but its taking a very long time to charge but there is charge going in to the battery and the power tank does now switch on and the torch which is fitted to the power tank does light up so its getting there I'm going to leave it charging over night and see how it goes :D

Thanks everyone for there help :-)

Dave

Dave,

As Greg has already said these type of units don't like being fully discharged. Apparently you need to recharge the power tank regularly - I have heard tales of units being left in storage for a while (switched off) and subsequently being dead, i.e. new lead/acid cell required. :lol:

Hope you manage to resuscitate yours.

Cheers

Bill :D

Well that seemend to do the trick just put it all back together and its now working a treat :D

the moral of this story is never let you power tank's battery get completely drained :nono:

Cheers all :lol:

Dave

There is probably a cicuit breaker in there that is responding to high current levels. I would do a remedial charge via an Auto battery charger first, but make sure the charging current is no more than 2 Amps. An hour should suffice to enable you to retry the charger in the power tank.

It should not trip out then. Have you done a voltage check across the battery terminals. If the reading is below 7 volts DC, the aforementioned remedy should do the trick. Disconnect the battery from the tank before connecting the battery to another charger.

Ron.

And if I had looked at the two previous posts, I could have saved myself the bother of writing this. :D

• 1 year later...

I've had the exact same problem with my 17ah power tank. At a wild guess I thought it was completely screwed but after reading this thread I will try to remove the battery and resurect it. Hopefully it will not trip in the same manner as yours has....

A tip I got from Greg- use an Optimate 3 charger, has deep cycle re-charge function. I once had a similar problem- never again since !! Now when not in use it sits in the basement hooked up being monitored and cosseted by the optimate, always ready to perform ( ooer!)

Karlo

Optimate have brought out their new hot poo motorcycle charger...All singing all dancing with nice pretty lights on it to get us motorcyclists to upgrade...

It's exactly the same charger as the Optimate 3 With a different case. How different can a transformer be!...So the ones they are selling on ebay are last years model but with the same insides! So grab one..

Oxford products also make a good one ..

Hein Gerike do a copy of the Optimate. A bit cheaper..

I recently purchased a similar one to the Optimate for a tenner in Lidls..To keep my diidy Honda and garden tractor batteries topped up..If it find a link i'll post..

Just remember to put any lead acid battery on charge regularly..

However the batteries can be replaced for about £15.

Top man Greg thanks for your help in my quest, this was the main reason I stumbled across this forum after googling my question it came up with this thread. I will grab the optimate a.s.a.p and see if I can recover the battery. Do you have any links where I can find replacement batteries for the 17ah powertank?

If the battery has completely died, try putting it on a conventional car battery charger for 20 mins or so but no longers, a high initial charge may recover the battery. Then plug it into the Optimate.

As for a replacement battery, we have the Exeter battery center in Exeter which carry all sorts in stock, or online you have.

http://www.commtech-it.com/product_ecom/battery.php?gclid=CKDu1rifqZUCFQ0yQgod9R2ijg

I've ordered the Optimate 3 today and it will be with me in a couple of days :)

Thanks for the link on the batteries too, I'm pretty sure that the battery still has some life in it as the 800,000 candle power lantern still fires up so fingers crossed the Optimate will do the trick. I'll keep you posted on what happens after I've use the Optimate..

Once again thank you very much for all your help.

Lee...

Just out of curiosity, will an Optimate III charge leisure batteries - the 100+ amp hour ones?

No Mike...There's not enough initial ampage to charge a leisure battery...It would take forever!!

You can buy multi type chargers from halfords etc. Which is the one I use for my caravan battery..

Archived