SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Meade LX200gps PEC Training with PHD

Sorry if this has already been done, but I have searched to see if it has.

Anyway, I am getting egg shaped stars when autoguiding my meade which is on a wedge and a freind of mine said I need to R.A. Pec train my mount. I tried the other night and it was a nightmare. So it got me thinking.....Can you PEC train using my guide camera with PHD. If so am I correct in thinking what I need to do is

Start the PHD autoguiding

Then go to R.A. PEC train in the handset and select learn

Once it has done the 8 min cycle save the learning

then repeat this 3 times for more accuracey

Can some please help and tell me if this is possible

Mark

I don't have the answer but am interested in guiding, I failed when using PHP and my QHY for guiding the LX200gps - im thinking it was settings as even in manual control i could not move the scope, would be interested to know the setting yiu are using.

Regards

John B

Is it a QHY5 camera, if so I had same problem when I first got. It would not calibrate. I was never off the phone. In the end I check the ST4 cable with my multimeter and 'hey presto' the cable was faulty. it works fine. I get perfect guiding with my eq5 mount but with my lx200gps mount I'm getting egg shaped stars and been told I need to PEC train

Very few people use PEC and an autoguider at the same time because the feeling is that you are sending potentially conflicting signals to the mount. However, I think some do use use both. I certainly don't, though.

Personally I'd look at balance first and foremost. You won't be the first to struggle with the LX200 and autoguiding.

Olly

Well, the PEC training method you outline is correct and should work. However, as I say, I don't agree with your friend about using PEC and Autoguider simultaneously for imaging.

Balance needs to be very slightly biased towards the East so that the worm is always pushing. In perfect balance the scope can slop over to the opposite side of mesh in an oscillation.

Olly

Archived