SkySafari user? Top tip for planning imaging.

iwatkins

Hi All,

I've had SkySafari Pro on my iPad for a while now and use it to plan an evenings viewing or imaging. I even set up my own observing lists for just this reason, so I can write down my targets and notes before I go out (app needs Airprint to print a simple list in the next version). I don't actually take my iPad outside though nor do I control my setup with it, yet...

Anyway, I was having a dig throughout the settings the other day and under telescope control you can set up field of views for eyepieces. this shows an overlay which expands/contracts as you zoom in/out on the chart. Fine.

But I noticed, you can set up a cameras field of view as well.

So, I hoped over to here: Field of view Calculator added my scope and camera and my reducer/flattener and it calculates your field of view for you.

Put these numbers into SkySafari and it draws a nice rectangular box, again as an overlay, over the chart.

So now, I can have a browse of the charts and see exactly how big a target will on my DSLR sensor through my imaging setup. Love it.

Screen grabs below. Hope this helps someone.

Cheers

Ian

Settings screen

ize8lppbeUTBA.jpg

Christmas Tree Cluster

icmwxcMBWCWRh.jpg

Flaming Star Nebula

i7DieJm14hwXO.jpg

Orion Nebula

iyW68f63xIrXd.jpg

Archived