FedEx ???

Hello all,

I ordered a telescope with FLO, it was dispatched on wednesday morning and, as per tracking site, this morning it arrived at Cork (Ireland). It was in the vehicle, being delivered. I now checked the tracking site and it states "delivery exception - customer not available".

I provided both my mobile number and my flatmate's mobile number. My flatmate and the tenants downstairs are at home ready to pick up the delivery for me. We didn't get any call from FedEx.

How is that possible? How can I contact FedEx to try again? I couldn't find any way to notify them on their website :) :)

try your nearest fedex delivery centre on the fedex site...

Thanks.

I've actually found the contacts, however I'm unable to contact them. I just don't like that kind of service, 2 phone numbers have been provided and several people were just there ready to pick up the delivery, they didn't even call us to check or to inform us... It's so unfair. It never happened before with other companies. :)

Or note on the door?

Good point, I'll tell my flatmate or I'll check that when I'm back home (3 hours left).

;) It's frustrating only because I stressed Steve of FLO so much to change my order from a 200p Dob (out of stock) to a Eq5 200p, just to have it available this weekend, as I'm normally very busy and working also on weekends, this would have been a great chance. Their customer service stated that the driver didn't call me because "he might not have a mobile phone"... yes, why not :) and then they'll "try again" to deliver it on monday and tuesday.

We'll see how it goes.

Of course I guess the sky will be amazingly clear this weekend, and then it will turn bad when I get the scope :)

I've never known any delivery company to give their drivers mobile phones to ring customers on.

bit unfair to blame Fedex if noone answer the door to them when they arrive, that's like blaming the postman for not calling before delivering a large letter that he knows wont fit through the door.

FedEx have 2-way radios in the trucks. I know this because a driver that was trying to deliver to me this week got on to the base and asked them to call me. Something about an incorrect delivery address. When the package arrived the address was correct. I think the driver just got a bit lost and needed to double check.

Just an idea. Any chance that you can go pick the scope up at the local depot tomorrow? Maybe a quick call to them in the morning to sort it out. Saves them time having to deliver.

I've never known any delivery company to give their drivers mobile phones to ring customers on.

bit unfair to blame Fedex if noone answer the door to them when they arrive, that's like blaming the postman for not calling before delivering a large letter that he knows wont fit through the door.

UPS and TNT did ring me for many of their deliveries. My flatmate was sitting on the window awaiting for the delivery; there is one bell for my apartment and for the one downstairs, when someone rings the bell both people would check. It's very difficult not to notice if anyone comes to deliver something - especially when people were actually awaiting there for that.

And it's weird that they will deliver on the next "business day" as other people stated they should deliver also on saturday.

Least they didnt throw it over a wall or a locked gate.

Just as a footnote (not directly linked to this but similar):

The guy that comes out to read the ESB (electricity) meter doesn't even call here anymore. They simply estimate my reading (based on past guesstimates) and the postman now puts the "Sorry we missed you today" piece of paper in the door with my other post. I have contacted them about it and they said they would sort it out but still happens.

Makes me blood boil, so it does.

*RANT OVER*.....................

Normal commenting will resume shortly.

p.s.~~~i have also had couriers (not sure which company.............probably the post office) simply leave packages on the doorstep without ringing the bell. I once found a package on the step at 8pm (didnt go out that day), containg a boxset of The Big Bang Theory, that i had ordered from a well known online retailers. It was soaking wat and the cardboard box was almost papier mache.

Anyone who called to the house that day could have stolen it.

Anyone would think that trying to deliver a package was rocket science. It takes a ring of the doorbell to get the job done.

Or better still get the wrong name and address on the package and deliver it there. Dunno it that was the distributers fault or not. It was only because of the good nature of the person it was delivered to that I actually got it!!! £750 worth of kit in my case ;-(

Look at from the FedEx side.

Deliver a scope to an address and don't expect the person in to receive and sign for it and leave with someone else.

There are lots of fraudulant purchases that use this.

Also isn't the idea that the scope is delivered to the purchaser and signed for by the purchaser?

If someone had acquired your card and made a purchase and made these arrangements you would be jumping up and down saying why did FedEx deliver to a person that was not the supposed purchaser (=YOU) and get it signed for.

Many sites will simply not deliver to anyone other then the named person on the credit card.

It is called security in that the credit card holder signs for the goods, not some other person at some other address.

Also isn't the idea that the scope is delivered to the purchaser and signed for by the purchaser?

Nah any old signature will do. I used my mothers Visa to pay for my zoom EP and i signed my name for it when it arrived. Once the address is correct and the door is opened.....................any signature is fine.

You can nominate a delivery to be delivered to a neighbours house if you know you will not be home to take delivery. This happens all the time to me. I think my neighbours must really like and trust me. I get all sorts of stuff delivered to me that my neighbours have ordered.

They know i work from home so i am here all day.

I have had bad experiences with Fedex myself with FLO deliveries. I may be a one off. I ordered quite an expensive eyepiece from FLO and paid a bit extra for Fedex delivery. Wish I had not as when the item arrived it looked like it had been kicked from pillar to post. I am sure this was a one off, as I believe FLO would not use them if they were unreliable. I think their drivers are a bit hit and miss from my experience of them.

As LukeSkywatcher said, they usually deliver to any people who is in the household, as they can't actually identify who is the recipient (I guess they don't have the authority to check ID's or Passport to be 100 % sure of that). Also, when it's specified in the delivery notes that the flatmate will be there at the address to pick it up and their phone number was supplied, there shouldn't be any problem as I never had issues for any other electronics I've ordered from amazon, where the same conditions applied.

Luke, the ESB thing also happens to me :) An Post just trows in a bunch of letters, bills, advertisement and ESB notices as "Sorry, we missed you!". I've been paying estimates for 1,5 years, and I don't have access to the meter to send the reading myself :)

By the way, not sure if FedEx normally does that, but I haven't found any notice of missed delivery here (The Irish Post usually does that).

3 close relatives actually work for some big delivery companies and they don't honestly care and they are not responsible for what happens to the packages. 2 drive Vans like the FedEx ones and they both have mobile phones, the other one has a radio like taxi drivers have. These guys have to save time because they have to reach their targets so they are open to use any trick to be able to achieve the targets and earn their salary at the end of the month. This is not to blame the drivers of course.

Well, at the end I'm not going to die without the telescope delivered today (as the sky is very bad today anyway), I just hope they are not cheating and then I will be forced to go to their dispatch office to collect my order, as I just don't have any time or mean to do that (and wouldn't expect to do that after I paid £ 50 / Eur 60 for this delivery).

Clear Skies to everybody ;)

for me it happeed the other day with my astrotrac, special delivery next day, guy just posted the note in the door, i went searching for it, i could of had it that day but at 4pm (start work at 3:() so missed a really clear night :)

We once watched a driver deliver 6 doors down then get back in the van, drive away and even look at us standing waiting. Two seconds later on the tracking site it said 'customer not in card left' which of course was rubbish. We got no apologies or anything and we didn't get it till 2 days later. Another time we again watched the driver drive passed looking at me standing on the doorstep waiting only to be told when I rang the office' well the driver finishes at 5.30' to which I said 'fine but it's only twenty past now' to then be told 'well he lives quite far away you know'. I was less than happy. I've had drivers say they've left things in a porch we don't have, given to a neighbour when nobody lived there and when I rang up about a late delivery after watching the van drive up the next street, told the driver had had a heart attack and rushed to hospital only for the same driver to turn up at 7pm and say he forgot lol. Great stuff eh.

Luke, the ESB thing also happens to me :) An Post just trows in a bunch of letters, bills, advertisement and ESB notices as "Sorry, we missed you!". I've been paying estimates for 1,5 years, and I don't have access to the meter to send the reading myself

You live in an apartment/flat complex. I'm not sure but i think your weekly/monthly rent includes ESB charges. Your landlord would pay these charges out of your rent (on your behalf).

I'm not really sure.

The landlord may get a bill for the whole building (2 apartments?) ans split it down the middle?

Dont you just LOVE it when you get a confirmed time of delivery between the hours of 8am and 6pm.

I just LOVE those days.

Its still very exciting though when you see a truck/van pull up outside your house.

LMAO...............i remember the time my Canon 450D arrived.

It arrived in a brown cardboard box and that box was wrapped in bubble wrap.

The darn thing looked like an american football with lots of brown tape around it.

It came 3 weeks later then the "2 day quick delivery", i paid an extra 50 quid for and a few dozen emails between myself and the retailer.

You live in an apartment/flat complex. I'm not sure but i think your weekly/monthly rent includes ESB charges. Your landlord would pay these charges out of your rent (on your behalf).

I'm not really sure.

The landlord may get a bill for the whole building (2 apartments?) ans split it down the middle?

{OT} Unfortunately this is a private house split in 2 apartments (upstairs and downstairs). It's a bit of a monkey business. The estimates arrive to the owner as he is the account holder, and he forwards them to us, but it looks like the bill is only related to our own meter (as the people downstairs get a different bill) ... unfortunately I never ever found a place in Cork were any bill was included. They often "forget" to pay the tax for the refuse collection, despite they are required to do so by law (it happened many times to me ...).

Tribal-Wolf: your story is really funny and unbelievable... you know today I actually chatted with FedEx customer service and said "Look, the tracker says that the delivery has been attempted at 14:40 but 'the customer was not available' but that's not true as people were there awaiting for that!" the agent answers (with loads of empathy and other customer service skills): "Thanks for waiting, it appears that a delivery was attempted at 14:40 but the customer was not available". I said "well, that's what I just said, and I said it's not true, I also provided delivery instructions and phone numbers" (Pre-Packed Empathy again) "Well, maybe the driver doesn't have a mobile number?".. ;) ;)

:) well that would be the first driver who doesn't have a mobile number in 2012 - and the first one to miss the customers who have 2 huge windows just next to the door - whoever comes at the door - will be seen from the window. The guys downstairs are unemployed and sitting down all day just there looking out of the window and "chilling" - my flatmate was doing the same too. :) "SHIP happens" :)

Archived