Baader Solar Film, ND3.0 instead of ND5.0 for imaging?

Hi All,

The much faster film lets more light through for imaging uses, perfect. But does anybody know if it would be suitable on a Mak? Would get faster shutter speeds on a DSLR but don't know if it would cook a Mak or not?

If anybody can point me to the facts I would be grateful.

Cheers

Ian

If you check out the Baader site, you'll see the ND3.8 solar film is perfectly safe for any telescope.

It gives about x16 more light (for imaging) than the ND5 material. This allows much shorter exposures which help to "freeze" the seeing conditions.

Hope this helps.

If you check out the Baader site, you'll see the ND3.8 solar film is perfectly safe for any telescope.

It gives about x16 more light (for imaging) than the ND5 material. This allows much shorter exposures which help to "freeze" the seeing conditions.

Hope this helps.

I'm also interested in this, looking on the Baader site it says

SAFETY NOTE: PhotoFilm 3.8 OD is not intended for visual solar observation. Purpose is only for use with Telescopes for high magnification photographic work.

I'm thinking of doing one of two things, either putting a filter on a C11 for imaging or using my old Fullerscopes 3" long focus refractor

Any suggestions as to the best approach for photography?

Archived