Narrowband

Skywatcher Equinox 100 apo

mik

Here is a few pics of my new lunar/planet visual setup,cant wait to get it under the stars.

Skywatcher Equinox 100 apo with WO 1.25 diagonal and Skysurfer V

finder fitted all sitting on my Az4 mount :)

mik-albums-equipment-picture16367-equinox-100.jpg

mik-albums-equipment-picture16386-finder.jpg

mik-albums-equipment-picture16385-diag.jpg

mik-albums-equipment-picture16387-setup.jpg

Cheers Mick :)

I cant speak for Mik, but for me the AZ4 is a fantastic mount for visual means.

Its principle is simplicity. It's a nudge mount...just like a Dob, and it works well.

Lightweight, get up and go properties with no counterweights to worry about.

I really do hope they make a stronger AZ5 version on 2" steel legs sooner rather than later.

As it is, I think the 100 Equinox is probably the true max for this mount.

I had a 120ED on it and found it took a little while to settle at high mags after focusing or nudging.

I've read a review on FLO by someone who uses a 180 MAK (which I'm after) on one of these mounts and claims its steady. It may well be because it's squat, but it does weight 7.8kg compared to the ED120's 5.2 kg.

Saying that, my MAK150 weights 6kg and has no problems at all on this mount

Hi LJ no need for a EQ here as i am 100% visual now

Hi Tony not much to add to what you say and have to say a ED120 would be a bit of a handfull on this mount but the Az4 handles the 100 with ease, also i notice my pic of the 100 and Az4 is a little wide and makes the ota seem longer than it is and thus looks top heavy.

Also one very important thing to look at when testing a mount is the power you are trying to use, i doubt that i will go over 180x mag with this setup more closer to 150x.

The Ed120 with around 150x will be quite steady on this mount i am sure but push it upto the 200x + as with any ota/mount regardless of weight will struggle.

When i first got the Az4 about a year ago i did a test with a 200p ota fitted and at 150x mag it was fine, what i am trying to say is big ota + mount is not where it ends we always have to consider mag used also, and its not often i have the sky's to go above 150x mag.

Cheers Mick

Archived