sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would shoot the messenger, but all the guns and bullets are out of stock everywhere.

This is an old thread discussing the shortage of telescopes caused by last year's Stargazing Live series of television programmes. Currently, with only two days to go before this year's Stargazing Liv

Another thing that doesn't help, there is a new import/export duty of $400 dollars a container or something like this that one of my clients told me about last week on a bad mobile phone line.

The upshot is that there was a mad rush from manufacturers of all products coming from China to beat the commence date of the increase, which in turn meant if you got your product on one of these ships you were lucky, mountains of products didn't make it, hence long delays (5-8 weeks from China depending on boat speed).

Of course with this duty increase, it also means product prices will be going up from Chinese manufacturers, it will depend on how / when this will hit us as consumers.

Prices in China for manufactured products are rising due to wages rises, H & S alignment to a degree, unions embedding at factories, inflation and a few other reasons.

Not good news for us as consumers!

No sign of my order yet and I'm close to cancelling it, ill give it till monday afternoon I think.

Unfortunately, even if the boat docks tomorrow it would be at least another 3-4 days before the telescopes are unloaded, processed and delivered to our distribution centre. If you email our helpdesk with your order number I'll arrange a refund same-day. Sorry we weren't able to deliver in time on this occasion.

HTH,

Steve

I've not heard of a duty increase on a per container basis.

Duty is a charge against a specific type of goods - there are thousands of different codes and each one (potentially) has a different duty percentage.

So a blanket $400 duty charge is not really likely.

What is possible is a Fuel surcharge of 400 bucks, or a general increase in freight rates. We fixed our freight rates for the first 6 months of the year and then got stung with a £1000 price increase from the first of July.

To be honest a $400 charge (for whatever) is next to nothing in the grand scheme of things...

63cbm on a 40'HQ - a EQ6 is likely to be less than cube, so $400 / 1.6 = £250 per container. £250/63 = just under £4...

Increases in wages in China are the biggest concern for me at the moment.

Ant

As I said Ant it was a bad line lol! could hardly hear my client hahaha!

From what he said it was this rush to beat the increase that created a backlog of products left in China, waiting for the next boats.

Ouch on the $1000 dollar increase though.

We make retail displays, and although there is an increases in cost, on a decent volume China is still 30% cheaper on average for a metal / wood display, delivered to the door duties paid. And these are bulky products.

Hopefully increases in China may create more jobs over here, subject to skill level needed for production.

Does that mean my 127slt is likely to be on both ships so it wouldn't matter which docks first?

The sky is likely to be cloudy for the next little while so another week or two doesn't matter to me now.

I ordered on Feb 20 iirc so I hope I'm early enough in the queue to receive my 127slt from this container?

Does that mean my 127slt is likely to be on both ships so it wouldn't matter which docks first?

Yes, both boats have Celestron 127 SLT onboard so your order will be covered ;)

One boat is from China, the other is an emergency delivery from Celestron US which was arranged when they realised demand in the UK would exceed the contents of the Chinese delivery.

HTH,

Steve

Any signs of that boat docking this week?

We checked this morning but there has been no change. It is still expected this week, or next week at the latest.

HTH ;)

Does the same apply to EP's? I ordered a 2.5 Barlow 10/7 ago and have not heard anything since from a here not named UK astro shop... ;)

Probably best to contact whoever you bought it from?

If it's not Steve, you can hardly expect him to know?

Ant

Ah..Managed to sell my Skywatcher 130 thinking that getting a replacement would be easy, Seems i picked the wrong time to put my scope on eBay!

Still looks like clear skies are leaving Devon soon anyways :icon_salut:

Finally a phone call... "sorry, even though we listed the item as in stock, it is actually still on the way from Taiwan"...

I'm in a right state to start dropping names here...

Anyway FLO, I shall have a little look on your tempting homepage...

... it is actually still on the way from Taiwan"...

Baader's UK importer has stock. We are talking about the Baader 2.5x, aren't we?

Please don't mention your supplier, at least not here in this thread. It wouldn't be fair.

Well looks like I need to be patient

Placed an order yesterday for a 200p on heq5 a Cheshire a bader laser collimator and dual speed focuser

Well all bar Cheshire on back order

Cheshire despatched so will have something to play with

Now the waiting game LOL

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Baader's UK importer has stock. We are talking about the Baader 2.5x, aren't we?

Please don't mention your supplier, at least not here in this thread. It wouldn't be fair.

No worries. But, as a lesson to everyone - don't think "in stock" means in the UK...

Maybe write to them first. Again though, my response came only after 10/7 zzz...

Thoroughly unimpressed!

If the BC effect is responsible for increased sales just now of new equipment to folk new to the hobby then I predict a healthy supply of used equipment coming onto the market over the coming years. For every person who makes good use of their kit there will be another who realises that they are not as keen on going outside on cold nights as they thought they were.