SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Shortage of telescopes

They have declined. I did ask :blob10:

Thanks. I sort of suspected that they would say no.

It would have been interesting but as they allude to as soon as it was within 2 inch of the UK port we would have all been on the phone asking when our my shiny things where arriving.

Paul

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trust me, I've dealt with China and the Far East in general for most of my working life.

They are quite correct - there are numerous hoops to jump through before the stock is available for the importer to get it, let alone the dealer and then the end consumer!

Sometimes we can get a container the day after the vessel docks, but it depends on where in the boat the container was - sometimes it takes 2 or 3 days to get all the containers off! We allow 7 days... if customs decide to do an xray... anything can happen :blob10:

It would have been fun though watching the vessel travel round the world though!

Ant

I have been phoning around and found a dealer with a Celestron 8SE in stock :p

I'll send you their contact details via our helpdesk.

Be sure to say I sent you :)

HTH

Many,many thanks, order processed and i should get it tomorrow. Thanks for your searching around and going that extra mile for me,much appreciated.Still wishing to process the remaining order with you so message sent to help-desk :o:):blob10:

They have declined. They say the boat docking is only one step, there are are a number of other hoops to jump through before dealers see their stock. There is also more than one boat involved. I suggested it might be fun and would go some way towards lightening the tension that has built up around the shortage. They weren't convinced.

I did ask :blob10:

It was good of you to ask, but I think you may have regretted it if they had said yes.

<later on.....>

"... but Steve, it says here that the ship docked yesterday, where's my scope?!"

:o

There is an upside to this!

I listed on the bay my 10" Orion USA Intelliscope last night at 99p with no reserve, had 8 offers to "buy it now" and removed the listing, a chap is coming from North Essex tomorrow to collect it - I've sold it for more or less exactly what it cost me (though it is now in better condition) am planning on getting a better quality refractor later this year, perhaps in the summer when stocks are readily available.

Chris

We rarely drop-ship Celestron telescopes so have 5SE and 8SE here on the shelves. We normally have 4SE and 6SE too but they have been unavailable for a while (being the two most popular models) so our stock sold out. We should have more when the boat arrives later this month.

If you have an 8SE ordered elsewhere then they will probably receive it around early-mid April.

HTH,

Steve

Ill quiet happily take a 5se off you steve instead of my 4se i ordered last week :(, nudge nudge wink wink

Paul

This might go some way to explaining the whereabouts of an Evostar 102 that I ordered last week (from a dealer that will remain nameless for now). It was ordered on Sunday 18th, allegedly dispatched on Monday 19th using FedEx standard 2-3 working day delivery, and still hasn't arrived despite the dealer's insistence that "it's on the way".

I'm beginning to suspect that they never had it in the first place ! :(

Ill quiet happily take a 5se off you steve instead of my 4se i ordered last week :(, nudge nudge wink wink

Paul

I even considered changing from the 127SLT to the 5se.

A pity we didn't have the ship name;

Is it still considered piracy if you've already bought the cargo you take! :(

Depressingly, the last I heard was that 'end of March' has become 'early April'........

Wearily I sit here, pain and misery my only companions.

- Marvin the paranoid android, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

I spoke with Celestron's UK importer today. They have two boats incoming, one from the US and one from China. Both were expected to dock this week but were delayed. At least one will 'probably' dock next week so telescopes should become available soon after. One contains 4SE, 127 SLT and CPC series, the other contains all models from the SLT and SE series.

Hope that helps,

Steve

Thanks for all the info, I ordered my Skywatcher 200p reflector last week, so it's really helpful to know what's going on. Happy to be patient, experienced enough cloudy skies to learn how to do that! :(

I'm thinking of buying the motors for the included EQ5 mount in the next few days, how are stocks of them looking?

Thanks

Megan

Archived