Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Shortage of telescopes

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I luckily decided to change my order from a Skyliner 200P to an Explorer 200P as I was warned that it was out of stock... Patience is never enough when the heavens are there awaiting to be enjoyed by us banal humans :) :) Within 2 days from my change, the scope has arrived to Ireland (it's still not in my place, but that's another story). I feel lucky now that I'm aware of such great hunger of telescopes.

Thanks Paris Major. I am such a newbie that I can't do that yet. I want something that can be moved between my location and my grandson's. I started out thinking Reflector, 6", GoTo. I then got myself thinking about a Mak 127 and always the issue of cost. Most of what I've searched have lightweight tripods - probably all I could hope for if I insist on a GoTo. I understand the idea of a big Dob but I don't know how accurate "nudging" is. So, now I'm thinking a moderately short tube 150 or 200 (F5, F6) without GoTo on a more substantial mount (EQ5) and perhaps add dual motors. I guess this sounds reasonable in theory but I will then have to learn how to use it all - all the gear and no idea springs to mind!

All suggestions most welcome (as long as they're from the same planet), one of your number has already been most helpful.

I doubt it. A production line is pretty much a set process, the job takes as long as it takes. If you want to increase output you normally extend the working hours. Then again, this means overtime pay which impacts on cost-per-unit, which means prices go up. It's a balancing act. Let's hope things get back to normal sooner rather than later..... so I can get my first scope! :blob10:

Please understand this affects all UK dealers. If any of them say different, they're deluded!

Please don't shoot the messenger! :blob10:

Steve

Very true Steve, i popped into Rother Valley yesterday thanks to Celestdon and asked about a 8se and even they say they are having problems getting hold of stock. Oh and for the record i'm blaming Brian Cox for this :o

What worrys me will also be Quality Control if manufactures try to speed up production...

Come on lets face it ! It's bound to be expected on a few scopes here & there.

I think you still get the odd few now that might slip through the QC process. After all it's reliant on people for most of the assembly.

If they ramp up the production. They will produce more but lets hope the % of errors will remain the same.

Very true Steve, i popped into Rother Valley yesterday thanks to Celestdon and asked about a 8se and even they say they are having problems getting hold of stock...

We have Celestron 8 SE in stock... :blob10:

Steve

We rarely drop-ship Celestron telescopes so have 5SE and 8SE here on the shelves. We normally have 4SE and 6SE too but they have been unavailable for a while (being the two most popular models) so our stock sold out. We should have more when the boat arrives later this month.

If you have an 8SE ordered elsewhere then they will probably receive it around early-mid April.

HTH,

Steve

We rarely drop-ship Celestron telescopes so have 5SE and 8SE here on the shelves. We normally have 4SE and 6SE too but they have been unavailable for a while (being the two most popular models) so our stock sold out. We should have more when the boat arrives later this month.

If you have an 8SE ordered elsewhere then they will probably receive it around early-mid April.

HTH,

Steve

E-mail sent to helpdesk Steve

It seems that I was one of the lucky few.

My 200P on a EQ5 is due to be delivered today! Exciting!

:blob10:

Thank you to FLO for patience with my many emails and for the quick replies to my queries. Keep up the good work. I envy you for having made a living from a passion, good on you.

Your not kidding :) gutted is not the word as to how i'm feeling at the moment :):p:)

I have been phoning around and found a dealer with a Celestron 8SE in stock :blob10:

I'll send you their contact details via our helpdesk.

Be sure to say I sent you :o

HTH

That looks clever :blob10:

The importers already find it a challenge having one of their dealers so active on an astronomy forum. I think they would consider our wanting to publicly track their shipment a step too far. But I will ask :o

They have declined. They say the boat docking is only one step, there are are a number of other hoops to jump through before dealers see their stock. There is also more than one boat involved. I suggested it might be fun and would go some way towards lightening the tension that has built up around the shortage. They weren't convinced.

I did ask :blob10:

That looks clever :blob10:

It is amazing what you can do with the internet these days. I wonder how I get any work done at all some days :o If I was in charge of getting scopes to people you would all be very angry! :p

Archived