SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Shortage of telescopes

Not just to be contrary, but there is an upside to this, perhaps?

Those of us with beginner's kit we purchased last year, might be able to sell it on (at a reasonable price) when it comes to upgrading. If there is a shortage of Dobs and other sought after "starter scopes", then perhaps they will sell more quickly than normal?

Chris

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The same thing happened last year - ordered mine in March and it didn't arrive until July. As the shortage was predicted it is, perhaps, a little strange that the importers did not build up stock to cope with it as they will probably lose sales in the long run as people cancel and buy second hand.

Does the shortage include the Skymax 127 or Skymax 150 OTA's Steve ?

The Skymax 127 OTA have sold out, more are arriving on the shipment due last week of this month but they are all pre-sold. It is difficult to say when they will become available again but certainly not before end-April.

We have Skymax 150 PRO OTA in stock and more arriving end of month. We also have an open-box Skymax 180 PRO OTA going cheap if interested.

HTH :)

It's probably simply demand ... :)

Is it just a UK-thing? Are these scopes available to dealers in mainland Europe?

Skywatcher's UK importer/distributor also supply much of Europe so I am guessing it is the same over there. If not there will be an uproar here in the UK!

Good lord! So is this a case of "treat them mean and keep them keen" to keep the prices high, or do you think they are really struggling to meet demand?

It is difficult to say. It isn't a marketing exercise, of that I am certain. Delays are not unusual at this time of year. As the clocks go forward and the nights grow shorter people's attention switches to other hobbies, and holidays, so distributors reduce the amount of telescopes they carry. But this year the shortage of stock is significant. It might be they under-estimated demand or China aren't producing as many (Celestron & Skywatcher are both owned and manufactured by Synta). We really don't know.

CCOOOOOOOOOL DOOOWN TIME on the Skymax 180 Steve ??

Aaaaaaaaaaages :)

Seriously, if you cannot store it in a shed, garage or conservatory (so close to outside temperature) then cool-down time is a significant factor.

If stored indoors then reckon on around 90-mins in Winter. Summer isn't such a problem because it isn't so cold outside.

Aaaaaaaaaaages :)

Seriously, if you cannot store it in a shed, garage or conservatory (so close to outside temperature) then cool-down time is a significant factor.

If stored indoors then reckon on around 90-mins in Winter. Summer isn't such a problem because it isn't so cold outside.

Great advice and I would concur. When my 180Mak is in the house, I work on 1.5 hours cool down. But I put it out to cool down just before sunset in the shade so is at ambient before I even setup.

If its in the workshop, (unheated) I'm up and running in under half an hour.

Its a great scope and one I wouldn't be without. :)

Cheers

Ian

I just told my wife there is a shortage of telescopes. "Not round here there isn`t" was her reply.

Do you think she is trying to tell me something? Maybe its time to have another go at getting planning permission for that obsy ;-)

Archived