SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Shortage of telescopes

I don't think we have ever known a time when telescopes have been in such short supply!

There are a number of threads here on SGL mentioning the shortage of popular models like the Skywatcher Skyliner 200p, Skywatcher 127 AZ GOTO, Celestron 127 SLT and Celestron SE & CPC series. There is a shipment due to arrive here in the UK around the last week of this month that will clear a lot of existing backorders but already some models are selling out before the boat has even docked. The Skyliner 200p (our bestselling telescope!) is almost sold out, we have enough incoming to cover another five orders but after that we won't see another delivery til late-April/early-May. And I wouldn't be surprised to find they will all be pre-sold again before then. The Skywatcher 127 AZ GOTO is already sold out! To make things worse it is proving very difficult to get a handle on what is or isn't going to be available.

We don't like working this way but it appears the only way to buy some telescopes is to place an order and be patient. The alternative is to click on the product's ' Notify me when available' button but with kit selling out before it even arrives it could be a long time before we have spare stock.

Please understand this affects all UK dealers. If any of them say different, they're deluded!

Please don't shoot the messenger! :)

Steve

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looks like i got mine just in time. :)

same here Jimmy - what is the cause of the drought? stargazing live? The Asian Sunami? In a time of economic chaos some companys must be making hay with demand what it is - suprised prices haven't rocketted substantially already

Cynicism has nothing to do with it. Steve from FLO predicted this in July last year.

http://stargazerslounge.com/sponsor-announcements-offers/147918-storm-brewing.html

You misunderstand me. The first page of a webstore is it's shop window, what I was saying is that if you have selection of stock that sells regardless then you put the less in demand pieces at the front so those are the ones people see.

seems i got my 6se just intime then.. not just for stock but price increases, i was on flo earlier and noticed in the past month its jumped about seventy quid

Don't worry guys there are more of us scopeless stargazers than you might think ;)

Tis true indeed. :)

I promised myself I wouldn't rush into buying a scope before I'd spent at least 6 months with my binos. Apart from giving myself time to learn the sky, I wanted to make sure I knew where my interest lay? Whether I wanted to focus on observing (ouch!) or imaging? Lunar/planets or DSO? Manual or electronic? In an ideal world you would buy a scope that could do everything, but in the short time I've been here I've already learned that some types of scope are better suited to to one discipline than another.

I had a really good couple of hours with the Opticrons last night (trying to find that elusive Garradd!) and I was thinking that maybe I should go for it and get a scope? Maybe after reading Steve's update I am better off sticking to my original plan?

No rush eh? They're not going anywhere, and the ones that are will be back! :)

Archived