Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

CKemu

M42 - A Year of Progress

I got my Meade LX90 8" in December of 2010, after a failed DEC motor caused a few headaches I set about photographing Jupiter and the Moon, astounded by what I saw I leaped in to photography with the scope - blindly and often finding the learning curve brain melting.

Whilst I consider myself still at the bottom of this curve and spent significant time away from the telescope through travel (five months in Australia) - a year has seen progress, so I would like to share three pictures - all of M42, that obviously and highly alluring "new guy" DSO.

The bank account has suffered, but I think the pictures speak for themselves, and as a new guy here, I'd like to thank those of you who have helped me get this far!

First Attempt: Oh how excited I was to have colour and what I called "detail". Frustrated that DSS wouldn't stack them either - oh dear!

attachment.php?attachmentid=83126&stc=1&d=1332433641

Attempt No. 2: Got myself a wedge, decided prime focus was probably going to give me more exposure time and could actually find Polaris - Photoshop skills lacking somewhat in processing experience, and limited to 30s exposure still as I was drifting wonderfully!

attachment.php?attachmentid=83127&stc=1&d=1332433641

Attempt 3: My most recent attempt, this time using a blend of two exposure lengths, guiding, photoshop and more patience! I still have yet to figure out the useful aspects of flats, and want to bring out more detail.

attachment.php?attachmentid=83128&stc=1&d=1332433641

post-22545-133877751541_thumb.jpg

post-22545-133877751548_thumb.jpg

post-22545-133877751554_thumb.jpg

very nice , i would be happy with them , having not started my frustrated nights yet :)

That's brilliant.

I've only been doing this for a couple of months but a couple of weeks ago I was producing results to your first photo but last week after getting some motors for my mount I've progressed to your second photo.

It's always good to see how people progress and it gives me confidence in my own ability to improve.

Great stuff :) Nice to see your progress - thank you ;) I'm about at your First Attempt stage :)