Spiders, cross hairs and clouds

Nothing to be embarrassed about, we've all fallen foul of Chinese instructions at some stage :)

This forum is great, you won't find people making anything of beginner mistakes - you will find a load of good guys and gals with a wealth of experience who enjoy helping out us noobs :)

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a matter of interest - how did you manage to fix the counterweight bar where you did ?.

It's the place normally reserved for a polar alignment scope - I can't think of a way that you could securely fasten the bar and counterweights in there :)

Anyway - you need to shift the bar and weights to other axis of the mount, as indicated by the previous posters.

I'm glad the focus issue is resolved too. This is a common issue and it seems to me that the instructions that come with the scopes have much room for improvement on how those adapters are used.

They may be scope owners out there who have never been ably to get their scope to focus and have consigned the scope to the attic in disgust :)

Don't be embarassed - Skywatcher is an oddity. Most other scopes just have a 2" whole that fits 2" eyepieces and then a short adaptor that goes in that to fit 1.25" eyepieces.

Skywatcher thought they were being clever by having separate adaptors of the same height that you swap when you change between 1.25" & 2". I think they thought it would be good for parfocal eyepieces so you don't have to adjust focus when changing over. Thing is I don't think there are many eyepiece ranges that have parfocality between 1.25" & 2".

One other thing to be aware of is the bolts that adjust the vertical polar alignment. They are quite soft and can bend and jam in if too much force is applied so be careful when you switch the counterweights over.

A quick update.

Counter weight removed and repositioned (John I got it up there and held it using the retaining screws - like I say embarrassing and hardly very safe given the weight of the things! Didn't even see the right hole for it as it was right under the mount)

Took focus extender off - put lens back on and lined it up with spotter scope on a local chimney.

Glad to say It all worked a treat and proud to say on my second ever use of a telescope I and my six year old have seen Jupiter and 4 moons

Thanks for all your help and here was (for me anyway) the magic moment!!

88npjxn

Archived