Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Just got my first scope and decided to register - Hi!

imzo

Hi all.

Just got my first telescope so thought i would register here on what seems like a great community.;)

Been interested in astronomy for a while - but hadnt got the money to buy a 'decent' scope until a few days ago. I had originaly got my mind set on a Skywatcher Explorer 150p, but while browsing around at various second-hand sites i came across a Skywatcher Evostar 150 with EQ5 Delux mount for around £300. I thought this was a good price as these things retail new for between £700 - £800 (or approx £500 for just the OTA), so i decided to buy.

Only had 1 cloudless night since i bought it, so havnt had much time viewing with it yet. On that clear night i turned my attention - and scope - to the two brightest objects in the sky over here in the UK atm. Didnt know what they were until i looked through the scope - turns out the brightest star (which is above the other bright star) was as far as i could make out - Venus. Satisfied that i knew what the brightest was, i then looked below towards the next brightest star. I centered the scope and then set the focus not expecting to see what i saw.... Jupiter and her moons - and even though the planet was rather tiny, i let out a quiet Wooooww....:o

This was all using a 25mm plossl and a Revelation Astro 2.5x barlow... So i decided to swap out the 25mm for the 10mm expecting to get a much closer view and see more detail (although i couldnt really see any detail using the 25mm - it just looked like a small bright blob, but i knew what it was).

I was actually a bit disappointed - while jupiter did get bigger using the 10mm (although still rather tiny), i still couldnt make out any detail and it remained as a small bright blob with bright dots to the sides (moons). I worked out the magnification must have been around 300x (1200mm divided by 10mm x 2.5 = 300), and cant understand why i couldnt see anything other than a small bright blob (and yes i had the scope in focus). I have read of people using less magnification saying they can see swirls in the clouds etc... and seeing videos online showing a rather large image of jupiter in which you can see lots of detail using (according to the video description) less magnification and a less expensive scope... so i have to ask - is there something wrong with my first purchase or am i doing something wrong?;)

Thanks

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A warm welcome to the SGL Forum Imzo.

Many first time scope users can experience some disappointment when expectations aren't matched by the realities of planetary observation. The two major planets Jupiter and Saturn, are huge bodies, but that is attenuated by their vast distances from the earth. Resolving them sufficiently to an appreciable size, is difficult in smallish aperture telescopes. The resolving power depends on the diameter of the telescopes mirror/Lens. The larger they are, the more magnification can be comfortably achieved.

Magnification isn't the be all and end all of observing, unless the magnified detail is clearly visible, more magnification will make it worse, so use a power sufficient to give you a clear view.

Reflectors are dependent on good collimation to perform at their best. Collimation simply means that the optical elements, the main mirror, and the secondary mirror, have to be precicely aligned. They can become misaligned due to a jarring for example. Weather and sky conditions can also have a detrimental effect on viewing, atmospheric conditions can reduce seeing capability.

Have a look at the Moon, and see the wonderful detail your scope can reveal. The moon is a good way to check seeing conditions too. If it bubbles and boils, then things aren't good for observing.

The Images you see on SGL of planets, are always going to exceed what you see in the eyepiece. Most planets are imaged with a webcam, and the hundreds of captured frames, are scrutinised by software, and the best ones only are stacked together to produce the fantastic results you see.

Don't be downhearted, your scope is a very good one, and there are more than planets to observe in the Universe,.

Ron.

Hi

Thanks for the advice barkis.

I have to admit that when looking at jupiter it was like looking at it through shallow water - perhaps this is why i couldnt see any detail?

Jupiter seemed VERY bright (though not as bright as venus) and was like very glarey. There was also a fair amount of CA - to combat this i have just placed an order for a Baader Semi-APO filter from FLO. Was going to get a Fringe Killer but decided that the Semi-APO was the best 'all-round', plus the yellow cast of the fringe killer was a put-off.

I was reading somewhere (maybe here - not sure) that the rule of thumb for a scopes max mag was 60x the lens/ mirror diameter. So in the case of the evo 150 thats 6inch x 60 = 360. So if that is anything to go by, i am not too far from that at 300x with the 10mm and 2.5 barlow. What would be the actual max mag of the evo 150? I was thinking of getting a higher mag EP - maybe 6mm - but that would give about 500x mag with the 2.5x barlow - is that too much?

Oh and thanks for the warm welcome guys ;)

Hi Imzo, I have the 120 Evostar frac, and can see Jupiter with a fair amount of detail using a 10mm EP, even more with a 5mm, but that's about the limit on mine. It sounds to me like it was out of focus, you have to turn the focuser a tiny bit at a time once you get close to focus, it goes in and out really fast at high mag. The "shallow water" effect you describe is the effect of the earth's atmosphere, so not a problem with the scope. Does your mount have motors on it? I have found that these make focusing easier, as they keep the planet in the field of view, so you aren't struggling to focus before it moves away. Other than that, just keep practicing; if you really can't get focus, have the collimation checked on the scope. Good luck. CW ;)

Hi Imzo

Welcome to SGL. 300x is very high magnification for UK sky. While your scope may be able to support that magnification in theory, the atmosphere between your scope and outer space won't. Typically the magnification limit in UK is around 200x, although you can get 300x in exceptional condition.

Hi Catweazel.

I am faily certain i set it to optimal focus - like you said by turning very slowly. I think what may have been making focusing more difficult is the CA, which i am hoping the Semi-APO filter i have just ordered helps with.

When i got the scope the front objective lens was quite well... dirty - lot of dust and it looked like someone (previous owner ?) had attempted to clean it, as i could see smears and greasy marks. So i bought some special lens cleaning fluid and some microfiber cloths to clean it with after removing the dust with a blower and soft synthetic brush. I removed the lens cell and cleaned both sides making sure to apply very little pressure and using circular motions. End result was a MUCH cleaner lens - almost spotless now.

But that didnt seem to help much with regards to image quality - actualy the finder scope is FAR clearer than the OTA, in fact the world looks better through the finder scope than it does with my eyes - very clear and pin sharp. In comparison the OTA is kind of like looking through a glass of mirky water (especially with the 10mm EP), Is it supposed to be like that - just i would have expected the more expensive optics in the OTA to give a better image than the finder.... (?)

Oh and no... its not motorised - will have to leave that for another time, wallet is kinda dry atm Lol...

Thanks, and thanks to everyone for making me feel welcome ;)

Hi E621Keith

Perhaps it is too much at 300x - but even at that mag the image i see is still tiny, jupiter seems little more than a bright dot, Surly 300x should be better than that, or is something wrong with my scope?

Thanks

Don't expect dramatic close up even at 300x. Although you should be able to see Jupiter's belt well before that. I can see the belt on my spotting scope at around 40x. The image scale is small, but you can see details nevertheless.

Im not expecting jupiter to almost fill the view through the EP, but the image (to me) is too small, as i said little more than a bright dot/ blob. I can 'only just' make out a faint band, but it is very hard to see - so much so that sometimes im not even sure if it is there and im just seeing or imagining things.

Maybe my expectations are unrealistic, or the scope i have bought isnt that good - ive seen videos online of much smaller aperture scope eg. explorer 130p, that show FAR more detail and a bigger image than what i see.

I will buy a webcam at some stage to test it out, and see if my results improve - if not then i may just sell the evo150 for a reflector something like the 200p...

thanks again for the support.

You should not compare visual image with video. Post processing can bring out a lot of detail that is not visible to the naked eye.

I suggest taking it to a local astronomical society and ask people there to have a look. You will also get a chance of looking though some other instruments.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Peering through many miles of atmosphere, the dust and particles that it can contain along with turbulence - its surprising we can make out what the moon actually looks like! I agree with Keith regarding the maximum realist magnification you can expect and that you should take it along to your local astro club for someone to confirm whether there is a problem with the scope. Have you tried using the scope during the day to make sure the focuser is working? You don't give you location in your signature, perhaps there is a member on here who lives close to you that might lend you a hand.

Hope it gets sorted soon and clear skies in the meantime.

James

Archived