Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Supernova in M95

John

I posted this in an thread earlier on the Virgo supernova but I then though it deserved a little thread of it's own ;). I'm clouded out now but I'm pleased to have spotted this one:

Yep - I think I've spotted the M95 SN ;)

I'm using my 10" newtonian and the 8mm Ethos eyepiece. It looks around mag 12.5 or so just now I reckon.

I'm using the 10" newtonian view on this web page as a finder chart (the pic below the photo):

Another bright supernova goes boom in M95 near Mars | Astro Bob

The SN looks to me around the same brightness as the mag 12.5 star to the east of M95.

My 6th supernova :o

Edit: After further observation I'd revise my brightness estimate for the SN down a bit - mag 12.8 perhaps ?. It's proving just a little harder to see than the mag 12.5 star.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's my sketch of the Supernova in M95. Others now confirming the 13.1 mag estimate I went with last night.

m95Supernova2012.png

Here's a labelled sketch showing the position and magnitude of SN and surrounding stars. This one's going to be an exciting one to watch! ;)

m95Supernova2012-labeled.png

Nice sketch. Matches my view of the SN, bar the mag 14 star (and my view was upside down with respect to this).

The Mag 14 star was quite tricky to pin down. It might be fainter than 14. It kept flirting with my vision, but I managed to nail it in the end.

Great sketches Seb ;)

Mag 13.1 makes it more of an achievement. It's not the darkest segment of the sky for me.

Definitely worth having a go Mark - at least the host galaxy is easy to find !

Managed to get out for a second look tonight. Forecast was for cloud but hasn't materialised yet - 3rd night of obs on the trot ;) ...can't last!

SN2012aw looks un-changed to me but I am not very well practiced at the magnitude estimate game. Still looks similar to the star in the field which Stellarium shows as magnitude 12.95.

Forecast is for clear skies again tomorrow so i am going to bed now to catch up on some sleep following a couple of 2am finishes followed by06:30 alarm calls for work.

Been at Jodrell Bank radio telescope all day and arrived home at about 8pm to a very clear sky - members at SGL7 should be OK tonight being only a few miles away.

Set up the 10" Dob with the 13mm and 8mm Ethos EPs to try and view the SN.

Easily found M95 and thanks to the brilliant sketch of Seb was easily able to match the star field. Viewed the SN which I estimated at mag 13 not able to see the mag 14 star on Seb's sketch.

Glad I saw the SN tonight as I am going away on Friday so will not be able to view it for at least 10 days.

Glad to record my 5th SN :)

Mark

I've been trying and trying but it's just too hazy here in Bristol :) I'm determined to get this though as it will pop my SN cherry. Saturn is just about to rise over my neighbours house though so I guess I'll settle for that and a beer for tonight.

Congratulatons Mark - tiny sparks of light but still awesome aren't they :)

I'm near you Dave so I'm in the same boat tonight. I've been viewing Mars (V. nice despite the haze) and I'm waiting for Saturn now too.. The SN should be around for a few days I hope. Might even brighten an bit :)

Archived