Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_android_vs_ios_winners.thumb.jpg.803608cf7eedd5cfb31eedc3e3f357e9.jpg

ollypenrice

M51, stage 2, 15 hours up.

Hi Olly,

I know you have very little in the way of LP where you are... So I was wondering in this image how long the subs are you are taking?

I just started on M51 the other day with 5 minute subs...and still have a way to go yet...

Edited by SteveA

Beautiful image Olly as ever. Just as I was seeing it visually last night - I wish!!

Hi Olly,

I know you have very little in the way of LP where you are... So I was wondering in this image how long the subs are you are taking?

I just started on M51 the other day with 5 minute subs...and still have a way to go yet...

Thanks Steve. This was done in 15 minute subs for the colour and the luminance. The scope is F6.8.

Olly

It's not bad but you could do with a few more subs to bring out the detail ;)

Enviado desde mi GT-I9003 usando Tapatalk

Fantastic Olly, the ha is really going to make this pop.;)

Mike.

This was done in 15 minute subs for the colour and the luminance. The scope is F6.8.

Now this interests me Olly, as I find that I lose much star colour with 6 minute exposures and you're doing much more on a scope a little slower than my reduced one. You have retained star colour - Is this due to a bunch of seperate exposures just for star colour?

It's a super picture, really pops - A real inspiration.

Olly

That is excellent.. clearly a great deal of effort has gone into this.

I'll put it down as the best non-professional and non-collaborative M51 I've seen.

Looking forward to the final image.

Derek

Now this interests me Olly, as I find that I lose much star colour with 6 minute exposures and you're doing much more on a scope a little slower than my reduced one. You have retained star colour - Is this due to a bunch of seperate exposures just for star colour?

It's a super picture, really pops - A real inspiration.

Thanks Sara,

No separate star layer subs here. I don't feel I'm getting the star colour right in the ODK yet, though. When I get the galaxy colour right (ie to my eye) I find there is too much blue in the red stars and they appear a rather dull sandy colour in need of correction.

The odd thing is that a large aperture scope is faster than a small one on stars irrespective of F ratio so I share your surprize. Imaging's a mystery.

Olly

Images like this were a total inspiration to me when I was starting out - A distant dream of what I'd like to achieve, and in my naievty I believed that I too could get there one day... I now know that's never ever going to happen ;). I take my hat off to you again Olly - Yet another incredible image :o. I too am totally confused how to get more star colour saturation without totally burning them out and had started thinking that 5-6 mins was about right... (obviously not ;))

Images like this were a total inspiration to me when I was starting out - A distant dream of what I'd like to achieve, and in my naievty I believed that I too could get there one day... I now know that's never ever going to happen ;). I take my hat off to you again Olly - Yet another incredible image :o. I too am totally confused how to get more star colour saturation without totally burning them out and had started thinking that 5-6 mins was about right... (obviously not ;))

Not true, Andy. You could get an image like this from the skies under which I live. That is most of it. Minimal light pollution and long hours of clear night sky. Well, Mr Van den Broek's admirable telescope, mount and camera played their role of course!

You don't need a lot of exposure for star colour. Too much, and especially too much Luminance, burns it out. I sometimes use Noels Actions for star colour, though not as much as I did, since I pay more attention to not blowing the cores. You can also pull star colour in from the edge to the star core yourself. Anna mentioned this on a recent image thread of hers and she may have a better way but I put a copy RGB-only layer underneath, blur it, increasse the saturation, and then partially erase the cores from the LRGB version on top.

As I say, I'm finding star colour difficult in the 14 inch so far. I need to think about this.

Olly

Okay Olly... I get it - In order to achieve this particular dream, I really need to move...;). I think I knew that anyway, but I'll let my wife know and see what she says... (I would offer to relay her response, but I suspect the filter on here would edit it somewhat ;)).

Okay Olly... I get it - In order to achieve this particular dream, I really need to move...;). I think I knew that anyway, but I'll let my wife know and see what she says... (I would offer to relay her response, but I suspect the filter on here would edit it somewhat :o).

I suggest a lottery win and a second home in our village. There's no need to buy a ticket because doing so has a statistically insignificant effect on the likelihood of your winning it...;)

Olly

I've never bought a lottery ticket... but that's probably only because my wife and daughter can't stop spending all the available cash I tell them about ;).

(Maybe I can try and convince them both of a holiday in the south of france next February...? ;))

Truly inspirational work there guys:hello2: looking forward to the finished article!

My funds only allow for visual observations at the moment, your images provide the fix for the mean time!

Jon

...my wife and daughter can't stop spending all the available cash I tell them about ;) ...

Mistake number one Andy .......... Don't tell them!! ;)

Mistake number one Andy .......... Don't tell them!! ;)
The problem is, they see me spending money on astro stuff, so they think it's alright for them to go on shopping sprees as well - I'm trying to convince my daughter she needs an AstroTrac and a mini-Borg Astrograph for when she goes to Morocco in the Autumn, but for some reason it doesn't appear to be working... ;)

That is a fantastic picture, it amazes me how much detail there is. Just brilliant..

Paul

I am seeing the halo of the smaller galaxy for the first time. Every "professional" photo of that pair that I have looked at, only appears to show the brighter core. I have always suspected that it would look like that, but never actually seen the evidence of it.

My hat is off to you and your partner, Ollie ! FANTASTIC JOB !

Jim S.

Dear lord!!!! that is amazingly, astoudingly stunning!!!! I would go as far as sayign thats the best pic I have even seen!!!! Wow!!

Beautiful Olly, but it would look really, really, really nice with those nice elements of Ha within those galaxy arms as a finishing touch...

Edited by Nadeem Shah