Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M51, stage 2, 15 hours up.

ollypenrice

M51-LRGB-15HRS-M.jpg

That's almost the full frame. To get in a bit here's the crop;

M51-LRGB-15HRScrop-XL.jpg

The L layer has 8 hours then there's 7 hours of colour, blue having suffered a bit due to guide cable problems (we think) costing half an hour. Still to come is some Ha on which we've made a start. Whether another dose of colour would add a lot is a matter of interest. I added the L to the RGB a bit at a time, boosting saturation and de-noising at each iteration.

Yves' ODK14 on Mesu 200 mount with SXH36 CCD.

Quite a kick, working at long focal length, but it brings its own little challenges!

Olly

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WOW! that puts M51 slap bang in front of your face:D stunning detail, absolutely blown away with that one Olly look at the amount of halo you've captured, and the background galaxies just make M51 pop out even more!

Best I've ever seen also:D

That's an amazing image of one of my favourite objects. And it's not even finished! Like Tim says, the dust lanes are great, especially the lane extending towards NGC 5195. And the detail and structure in the spiral arms is fantastic. Love it! ;)

You can almost reach out and grab it. This is some of the best work I have seen to date a true mark of craftsmanship is the sheer amount of detail in there especially considering it may be some 20+million light years away but you make look as if its on the doorstep!!

You are all too kind, as ever. I did a bit more work on this one, mainly on the background stars but also going for a bit more 'attitude' in the central part of the spiral.

We had a busy background sky in this image and neither Yves nor I had the usual joy with PI's DBE. However, I tried a PS filter in the Match Colour/Colour Intensity tool which has a tick box for 'neutralize' and this nailed it. Worth remembering.

M51-15-HRS-sRGB-CROP-L.jpg

The uncropped fullsize is here;

http://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Other/Galaxies/9252479_LsFcLc#!i=1755753630&k=xb8KHct&lb=1&s=O

Olly

Sublime Olly / Yves,

Superb effort, and I love the little faint blue area at the tip of M51 running into NGC 5915. Lovely core detail, and dust lanes.

Did you do the Colour Calibration and Background Neutralisation in PI on the RGB frames? Good tip with the PS filter.

Tom.

Sublime Olly / Yves,

Superb effort, and I love the little faint blue area at the tip of M51 running into NGC 5915. Lovely core detail, and dust lanes.

Did you do the Colour Calibration and Background Neutralisation in PI on the RGB frames? Good tip with the PS filter.

Tom.

Thanks Tom. Yes, I combined colour in AstroArt at 1-1-1 then used Harry's Galaxy method in PI to colour calibrate. Also DBE. However, the background sky was sitll not too good hence the Ps technique I mentioned.

I love that little blue extension, too. It shows how the 'bridge of light' is not a bridge at all but a foreground object.

Olly

Archived