Reflectors, 6 year olds and step ladders

Complete newbie so treat nicely please.

Want to get a telescope (probably solely for planetary viewing)

Some questions please:

1. Although its for me - keen to encourage a budding interest from my 6 year old boy. Looking at reflectors (namely the SW 130P), am I correct in that viewing is done from the higher top of the scope - worried it might need a stepladder for my son (!) - or am I missing something? Would a conventional refractor (SW Evostar 90) be more height appropriate?

2. Any (model specific) tips for a sub £250 telescope for planetary viewing. Open to anything!

Thanks

Dom

If you can, I would go to an astro shop and actually have a look at the sizes of the scopes and accessability of the eyepiece. Most tripods can be set quite low (or high) and you can get them to set the scope up for you. Don't forget to take 6yo with you!

Otherwise I would suggest a refractor as the eyepiece will be more accessable and can often be used by an adult when sitting down - so it should be fine for your son. If you go for the Evostar 90 get the EQ3-2 mount (the bigger more solid one) it will make a huge difference!

I have a 5" mak on an AZ4 mount and set at minimum height, it's ideal for my 7 year old, and she's small for her age. I paid £140 for the mount (new) and bagged the tube for £120 second hand. Even a 3" mak would be nice on moon/planets.

I had no problems using a dob with my daughters when they were 6. Actually the eyepiece height was almost perfect for them, and easier for them to look through in a way, because of the lack of a diagonal.

You'll see more planetary detail if have a bit more aperture than a small refractor provides. I think 8 inches aperture is a sweet spot with reflectors, but 6 is great, too. I'm sure almost any 6-year-old would be tall enough for a 6 inch dob.

I have a 5" mak on an AZ4 mount and set at minimum height, it's ideal for my 7 year old, and she's small for her age. I paid £140 for the mount (new) and bagged the tube for £120 second hand. Even a 3" mak would be nice on moon/planets.

How does she cope with the fact that observation is done with one eye?

I am worried my kid will have issues with that exact issue, hence why I was considering getting a Binoviewer.

Diego

How does she cope with the fact that observation is done with one eye?

I am worried my kid will have issues with that exact issue, hence why I was considering getting a Binoviewer.

Diego

It doesn't bother her at all. She used to look through my 10" dob using a step stool before I got the mak. The 6" dob suggested above would be another good option. Or make one of these:

5606800804_86a76c0497_b.jpg

Sometimes children have a harder time with binoviewers than with single eyepieces. To use most telescope eyepieces, your eyes have to be positioned just right. Binoviewers have TWO telescope eyepieces in them. So the interocular distance has to be adjusted perfectly for your child, and he/she has to position his/her eyes perfectly to use it.

One eyepiece will be easier, especially if you spend some of your money on some better eyepieces. Look for long eye-relief and wider fields--these will be best for children.

By the way GazK, that's a super cute picture!

It doesn't bother her at all. She used to look through my 10" dob using a step stool before I got the mak. The 6" dob suggested above would be another good option. Or make one of these:

5606800804_86a76c0497_b.jpg

Hi Gaz

what is that?

P.s. your daughter is cute!

I have a 5 and half year old boy and together we have used a cheapish 70mm refractor (with diagonal) and my new 200p reflector.

He always stands on a chair to view which generally puts him at the right height for viewing, and seems to work with a bit of care.

Given the short attention span at that sort of age the relative comfort of the viewing position is probably less important. As long as they can see into the eyepiece without knocking the scope off alignment then that's half the battle!

Good luck with your choices

Martin

Archived