SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

dark site west yorkshire

dean w

I must admit I would be interested to find out as well. I live in Halifax and there is lots of moorland nearby. It is a bit impractical to get up to Galloway/Kielder all the time.

My back garden is dark (when my neighbours switch off their security lights anyway). Glad I have a very transportable scope as well. One of the main reasons I went for the 127 SLT, it's portability. So it would be good to get out to somewhere closer by, but still reasonably dark.

You could also try Buckstones Moss Car Park (National Trust) - about 1400 ft up Go star gazing - National Trust on the road over to Denshaw, nr Oldham. I observed & photographed Hale Bopp up here (but from one of the few side of the road 'pull offs' I know - too busy with other observers at the car park back then ;) . The little pull offs need daytime knowledge otherwise you will need a recovery vehicle ;) . Buckstones car park is close to Denshaw, near Scammonden Reservoir on the A640 Buckstones Road. The Grid reference is SE 04772 11858

I live up near the windfarm at Ogden Moor above Halifax. Haven't been up there with my scope (great for mountainbiking though). Obviously you would be best driving to a good spot then setting up nearby? Or if you really are transportable then carry your kit to a suitable spot/field. (I guess you would have to ensure that there were no bulls in your chosen field, also you would need the farmers permission)

Hi Dean w

i'm in heckmondwike, if you find a dark spot close by will you let me know as i get so frustrated with the light pollution from my garden, great views over huddersfield can see for miles but also get the light pollution to go with it,

cheers chris.

• 4 years later...

Archived