Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

4 moons

1100d v 450d

hi, im thinking of getting a canon 1100d or 450d ? my scope is a skywatcher 200p f/5 and running windows 7 .

do these cameras have mirror lock up ?

thanks

The 450d has it in the menu I believe, but the 1100d doesn't. If you are using a lappy and BYEOS or APT then the same thing can be achieved - although several people on here say it makes no difference with a good mount.

thanks roger ,i see you have the 1100 are u happy with it ? are you running windows 7

I'm in the market for a DSLR myself. My understanding was that the 1100d has something called "live view" which essentially locks the mirror up so that you get a live image from the detector on the rear lcd.

Sure someone will put me straight if I am wrong.

I haven't had much sky time with it yet thanks to the weather, but yes I'm very happy with it so far.

David, it is the live view that the software uses IIRC. It's not the same as mirror-lock, as it engages/disengages with every shot rather than permanently locking up.

I'm in the market for a DSLR myself. My understanding was that the 1100d has something called "live view" which essentially locks the mirror up so that you get a live image from the detector on the rear lcd.

Sure someone will put me straight if I am wrong.

You are quite correct, the 1100D does indeed have live view - it's brilliant ;)

For astro imaging the 1100D is only beaten by the 600D at greater cost. Noise performance is far superior to the 450D. Also, the 1100D has the new Digic 4 processor providing 14bits data depth rather than the 12 bits of earlier processors. I'm currently running noise v temperature tests and there is very little noise with 20 minute exposures at ISO 3200 until the sensor temperature gets to 35C.

The 450D also has live view but it doesn't have the ability to take a video.

For astro imaging the 1100D is only beaten by the 600D at greater cost.

Woot.

My fabulous Wife has just bought me a 600D.

I had to promise not to modify it (....yet... ;))

Apparently I can still get the red end of the spectrum, but at the cost of 3x the exposure times of a modified version.

Edited by ScubaMike

Great ;) I would agree with not modifying it yet. See how you get on. If your 600D performs as well/better than my 1100D I think you will be very pleased ;)

Is the 1100D the same as the Rebel T3?

Stumbled across a listing on ebay "Canon EOS 1100D / Rebel T3 12.2 MP Digital SLR Camera - Black (Kit w/ 18-55mm Lens)" and I'm considering bidding.

Same thing different name right?

Excellent.

Typical price for the 1100D seems to be £300~ (inc. 18-55mm lens). Significantly more at the likes of Jessops.