SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Lovely clear night...

Hey guys, I've got great skies over in NI this evening. Now I'd really like something to look at through my bins! Perhaps some messier object? Something simple as im a total noob.

Oh, around Mars/Sirius direction as I've got a lot of light pollution on the other side.

Any help/advice would be fantastic. Currently saving for my Skywatcher 150!

Ok, there are obviously the planets - the big J and Venus if it's not too late already, and mars as you correctly point out.

Then scan the area around Orion with your bins, look for the Orion nebula (m42) in orisons sword

Head left, towards mars and up a bit and look for the beehive cluster (m44) in cancer, a lovely open cluster. Then in the east, a little way above Arcturus look for M3, one of the brighter globular clusters, it should appear as a round fuzzy blob in bins.

Later on Saturn will put in an appearance too.....there you are, 4 planets, a nebula, an open cluster and a globular cluster, not a bad start!

Thank you very much for your help!

Spotted what I think was M42 - looked like 2 stars quite close together? Also spotted beehive cluster (I think), invisible to the naked eye - more light pollution than I thought :) Really appreciate the help guys.

Oh, already spotted Mars, Jupiter & Venus - that's about all I know to look for, not forgetting M31 of course. Too much light pollution for that this evening though.

EDIT: I have seen M45 before, I always wondered what that was lol. I always thought it looked like the number 2 (when you very roughly "join the stars")?. is it currently (very roughly) between M42 & Venus/Jupiter?

I guess it is, very roughly :). It's near taurus, and the hyades cluster which is much more open and contains Aldebaran. Looks like a smudge to the naked eye under light polluted skies, I can normally see 6 stars under good skies. In binoculars it is wonderful

Stu

They are 10x50 mate, why?

Cheers Stu :)

Just affects what might be suggested to look for.I'm always amazed how many galaxies can be seen in a good pair under fairly dark transparent skies such as:-

M81 & 82 in Ursa Major,

NGC 2903 in Leo

M65, 66 in Leo

M64 (the blackeye galaxy) in Coma Berenices

M94, M51 (the whirlpool), M63 (the sunflower) in Canes Venatici

These need steady hands or a tripod

Cheers for that mate, I have this bookmarked now. Have had a lot of help on here, it is great! :)

Will Saturn rise much this tonight/this morning? It's quite low in the sky atm and to be honest too low for me. I have some hills blocking the view.

At it's best for tonight at around 2.40 am if you can stay up that long About 30° above the horizon, should be able to see it fine. Will be gradually rising through until then

Stu

Thank you Stu, will there me much detail with the binos - the rings for example? I have spotted the 4 moons of Jupiter last year through the binos, kinda hard to put into words when you first see that. Even looking at Jupiter this evening, although a lot duller, I am still in amazement every time.

Afraid not. You really need a scope to see the rings around Saturn. Can't remember since it's been a long time since I looked at Saturn with 10 x 50's but you may just be able to detect that it is not round, but slightly oval due to the rings

Stu

Archived