Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_terminator_challenge_winners.thumb.jpg.6becf44442bc7105be59da91b2bee295.jpg

Jammy

Philips SPC880NC Flash!

I've managed to get a Phillips SPC880NC webcam. A friend was throwing it away and I managed to save it. I told him that it should be recycled and not go in with the rubbish :) :)

I've seen an article about flash upgrading it to an SPC900NC webcam, but I can't find the article now :)

Does anybody have any links or the files that I need?

I feel that I ask you guys and gals for too much help sometimes... but then I just keep asking :)

Thanks Uplooker.

I've also found the instructions and files at AstronomyShed and their youtube video.

I'm sure everyone has already seen it already, but here is a link to the video.

I've just been looking at the SPC900NC 1.25" adapter on FLO website. Does anyone know if it also fits the SPC880NC?

Hi Jamie,

Yes it will. You will need to pull off the plastic focus cap and then unscrew the lens and then screw the adaptor into were the lens was.

Steve

Edited by Steve25

Jamie,

Get an IR/ Uv filter at the same time. It helps with imaging. You need to replace the IR/ UV filter that you removed as a consequence of replacing the webcam lens with the nose piece. The reason that you need it is that IR does not come to focus at the same poin as other wave lengths.

regards,

Ian

Thanks Steve and Ian

Thanks for the advice about the filter. I've seen threads about modding dslr cameras to remove the IR filter. Do webcams work differently?

I assume this is the nosepiece that I need:

First Light Optics - 1.25" nosepiece to webcam lens thread (ToUcam Pro SPC900NC)

Which of these filters should I be using?

First Light Optics - Baader Neodymium Filter

First Light Optics - Baader UV/IR Cut Filter

Are they the same, except one helps to eliminate light pollution? Do the extra coatings reduce the quality of the images taken?

Sorry if these are basic questions - I've just bought "Lunar and Planetary Webcam Users Guide" but I've only got as far as page 20 :)

Many thanks

I would reccomend a slightly cheaper IR filter such as this one, specifically for webcamming:-

Revelation IR Blocking Filter 1.25"

Now that I've successfully 'flashed' the cam to SPC900NC I've ordered the filter that you recommended. Can't wait to start getting photos :)