Newbie Astronomer with a few questions

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Scott,

Please try not to be intimidated by the idea of "learning the sky." Actually, few of the astronomers on this website--even the ones with thousands of posts--could point out every single one of the constellations to you. Most of just know the major ones with the objects we like best. You'll learn them bit by bit, and before you know it, you have a pretty good grasp of the sky. I never felt there was much real work involved; in fact, it has been one of the joys of astronomy for me.

Just my own opinion, but for someone starting out as you are, I'd recommend an 8" dobsonian. I think this aperture represents a perfect balance between ease of use, portability and the ability to see some wonderful images. One of the biggest dangers for the newcomer to astronomy is making your kit so complicated that you can't be bothered to use it.

Hi Scott,

Please try not to be intimidated by the idea of "learning the sky." Actually, few of the astronomers on this website--even the ones with thousands of posts--could point out every single one of the constellations to you. Most of just know the major ones with the objects we like best. You'll learn them bit by bit, and before you know it, you have a pretty good grasp of the sky. I never felt there was much real work involved; in fact, it has been one of the joys of astronomy for me.

Just my own opinion, but for someone starting out as you are, I'd recommend an 8" dobsonian. I think this aperture represents a perfect balance between ease of use, portability and the ability to see some wonderful images. One of the biggest dangers for the newcomer to astronomy is making your kit so complicated that you can't be bothered to use it.

Will is spot on here!

You will pick up the basic "map" of the night sky very quickly...as Will says you don't need to know every star..or even every constellation..just the important ones that act is guide posts or pointers....

And remember the most important thing!...this is all supposed to be an enjoyable hobby and actualy learning your way around is is all part of the enjoyment...;)

"few of the astronomers on this website--even the ones with thousands of posts--could point out every single one of the constellations to you"

Will's quite right here - in my case at least lol - I know a fair few but there's a hell of a lot I'd have to look up or find out how to star hop to before going outside. Goto also makes one a bit lazy lol ;)

What does the PRO version do that the standard version doesn't? And is it really worth double the price of a standard one?

EDIT: Reading other reviews, has the PRO version the same just with the GOTO system?

Hi Scott

The EQ3 Pro, is just the same mount but with GoTo. I want to get GoTo, as I want the telescope to be a long term investment, and it would be useful for finding DSOs etc. GoTo is a bit expensive, but I figure it would be cheaper in the long run than buying a new GoTo scope later.

The 130P goto is probably a good little scope I had a 1145P goto for a short while and it was quite impressive. People will always recommend a dob as they are good views for the money but if you WANT the goto then get it or you will probably not be happy. At the end of the day it's all about personal choice but the main thing is whatever you decide to get make sure you do your homework about it and are sure you know it's what you want. I have just upgraded my scope to goto and love it cuz I'm disabled by illness and can't always sit with my eye in the finderscope star hopping but at 16 you maybe fit enough to really enjoy the challenge, I know I did at your age.

Go for the 150 GoTo for these reasons:

- It will be easier to use if you want to attempt imaging, and will be easier to find DSOs with, due to the GoTo

- It has a bigger aperture, which means it can collect more light, so you can see fainter objects.

- It has an EQ mount which is easier to use especially if you want to do imaging.

Overall, go for the 150mm EQ3 Pro GoTo

Archived