Newbie Astronomer with a few questions

Hello everyone,

This is the first time I have ever joined a forum based around Astronomy, and I hope to become an active user in this forum to hopefully stay upto date :)

I'm a 16 year old student living in a town in Leicestershire. The skies around aren't perfect, but I see quite a few stars when I just lie down and look up. Driving to a darker place isn't too much hassle either, which made me want to invest a few hundred pounds in getting a decent telescope.

I started off at the age of about 7-8, with a Discovery Channel telescope which was about £15. It wasn't very good. I couldn't see anything further than the moon, so I was very disappointed with it.

Nevertheless, as I've grew up, my passion for the skies and stars has increased and after watching Stargazing on the BBC, I decided to take action and finally become more involved in the skies.

So, I have been researching for the past 2 months about the different telescopes and different ways of viewing the stars. I know about reflectors and refractors, and I think I would prefer a refracting telescope because I want to see nice images of objects in the Solar System, but also want to see deep space objects too.

I've been looking into the Skywatcher telescopes with the automatic Go-To functions for ease. I love the idea of being able to have the telescope move automatically so I can see an object in the sky, and I definitely want to have this feature - if possible. I looked at the Skywatcher 130P which is about £250 online. But many tutorials, and reviews are quite confusing for a beginner and I don't fully understand whether this would be a good investment.

My ideal telescope would be something that isn't ridiculously heavy (as in, I can carry it from my home attic, outside, to the car, etc) and I can view clear, bright images of the planets in great detail, and also view the Andromeda galaxy, and other clusters/deep space objects. I would also love to be able to bring my laptop along with the telescope, and link them (if possible?) so I can view what the telescope is looking at via my laptop. I contacted 'telescopehouse' about this function, and they said its possible but didn't give me much information regarding it.

Also, I have and know about binoculars. But I don't want to spend £100 on some binoculars when for an extra £100-200 I can get a really nice telescope that will keep me satisfied for a very long time.

To summarise (sorry, long post!)

I would like:

- Telescope with a Go-To system.

- Ability to see great images in detail in the solar system, and also deep-space objects such as clusters and galaxies.

- Feature to see what the telescope sees via my laptop.

- Not to hard to transport.

- Willing to spend upto £300.

Thanks very much for reading

I hope to become a budding astronomer with a great telescope soon.

(My career goal is to become an astrophysicist too, but well thats a story for another day :))

Cheers,

Scott

(WiKi_KiKi)

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Scott,

Welcome and thanks for posting. It's great to see young' uns getting into astronomy (and science in general). You certainly seem to have done a fair bit of research already.

Did you go to The Big Bang Fair at the NEC today by any chance?

I can't really advise you on what gear to get as I'm fairly new to all this myself but have a look around for a local astro group and you can go along and meet like minded people who will let you have a look at their gear, and you'll get boat loads of great info (you will from SGL too).

But stick around, read up, post a-plenty and you'll soon be out with a fancy scope looking at cool stuff :)

Thanks for your quick reply :)

Yeah. I keep trying to get my friends involved in space and physics more too, but well... doesn't end too good mostly haha

Nope, I didn't, was it interesting? I'll try and search up see if I can get some highlights of the event.

I've been trying to find an astronomy group in my area, but its so difficult. Somewhere within a few miles, or just down the road would be perfect, but it seems that they're all kept quiet about or poorly advertised.

Thanks! Can't wait to get more involved within this community. :)

DSO's: often refered to as faint fuzzies. They are faint (grey) and fuzzy (indistinct). If you are looking at Hubbel/Spitzer/Chandra images, that have been through days of processing, you are not going to see the same through a scope.

To display on a laptop will require a webcam and attachments, easy enough but as with any thing you need to get it costs money.

Clusters of both types are easy.

Goto again simple enough, supply the money and as with most things you can have it.

Bright clear images of Andromeda forget. Sorry it is not bright and clear.

The 130P is a fair starter scope but is it just 130mm, to see colour in Orion (about the only DSO with colour, will require something around the 12" (300mm) to 16" (400mm) size. Over 4x the light gathering of a 130.

With a 130P ypu are looking at an EQ3 with goto, preferably an EQ5. Although I see it can come on an Alt/Az Synscan for £265.

If you intend t use it at darker locations then you need a power supply of some sort. Also a collimator is necessary, Webcam, Webcam adaptor for the scope. If you get 2 better eyepieces then this adds up - the previous is probably £150-200.

Try http://www.leicester-astronomical.co.uk

I suggest you go look at an astro club and get a direct idea of what can be seen through the various scopes.

If you just get a scope for visual, no goto but say dual motors, then I suggest a 150PL in one of it's variants.

Hi Scott - you have a couple of alternatives for groups in your area. Leicester Astro Society meet in the National Space Center every first and third Tuesday of the month and meet for observing on some Saturdays in Blaby weather permitting.

There's also East Midlands Stargazers here on SGL who have two dark sites at Sawley and Belper - we meet regularly for group observing with a wide range of gear. You'll find us half way down the main page on the Blue "Social Groups" bar (or click the link in my signature to go straight there). Leave a short intro and the folks will say hi and give further details.

If you're in South Leicershire there's the Central Midlands Stargazers group who are just forming with a site near Bosworth airfield - they will have a Social Group soon if it hasn't been done already.

Hope that helps :)

Thanks for your reply Capricorn, that response has really improved my understanding.

I had always dreamed of linking my laptop to my telescope and seeing amazing, colourful images of Andromeda and gas clouds. But I think it will be just a dream...

How do amateur astronomers get amazing colorful images? Would be interesting to know. :)

..and about the 300mm aperture telescopes, they sound expensive and unfortunately I am only 16 so have no income.

-----------------

Hello brantuk, thanks for your response.

Is there a link for Leicester Astro Society?

I'll definitely check out East Midlands Stargazers. Sounds like alot of fun, and a brilliant experience.

Yes, I live near Hinckley - the Bosworth airfield site would be perfect. Just hope I can convince my dad one night haha :)

Thank you Capricorn and brantuk :)

It is a shame that website isn't very easy to use/navigate, and isn't very updated. Is there a forum for Leicester Astro Society? Or a place where members can talk to each other?

Also, Mill Lane in Blaby? That sounds ideal - not to far away.

Could you keep me updated on the Bosworth stargazing site?

Thanks all

Scott,

GOTO is great...but remember, the more you pay for the electronics..the less you are paying for the optics...and cheaper, smaller optics equals less impressive views of everything!

If I were in your position with what is a limited budget I would forget the GOTO and invest in the largest aperture instrument you can afford. By definition thats going to be a reflector.

For your £300 you can pick up an 8" dobsonian..which will start to give you resonable visual images of the planets and some of the brighter DSO's.

Leave the GOTO and ability to link to your PC until you have more money....

A none GOTO scope forces you to learn your way around the sky..and gives you a good grounding in the hobby...

Of course this is just my opinion...but I hope it helps....

Let us know how you get on...

Steve

The only problem I found with the Blaby observing site is that it's in the middle of the road. It'a very quiet road but if a car comes mid session the gear has to be moved aside pretty pronto.

Leics Astro Soc don't have a forum I know of - the Space Center meetings are good though with a wide range of talks/presentations including a beginers q/a session. :)

The only problem I found with the Blaby observing site is that it's in the middle of the road. It'a very quiet road but if a car comes mid session the gear has to be moved aside pretty pronto.

No - its not on the main road.

It's held, on some private land, well away from the traffic !

Have they moved from Mill Lane then? Last time I went observing with them it was in the middle of the lane - but that was over a year ago. Do you know where the new site is please Scarlet? :)

Yes moved.

I'll drop you the PM, for the exact location.

But I don't think they guys could have found better !!

Thank you SO much Scarlet, that location is perfect! I'll definitely be showing up when I get a telescope sorted.

Hi SteveA, thank you for your response.

Isn't studying the stars as in a map quite hard? I don't mind learning a new skill as it would be very valuable in this hobby, as you said, but finding the stars in the first place is quite hard. Do you know any books/online sites that give a brilliant explanation on how to know the stars? Thanks in advance.

I also watched an ingenious video on Youtube showing how you can make a webcam an eyepiece for a telescope, so for computer imaging it is no problem anymore :)

Thank you all for your great replies. I really appreciate it.

Scott

Turn Left At Orion is a good book with a list of objects, how to find them, and an illustration of how they look. Also the Illustrated Guide to Astonomical Wonders is very similar just a lot more objects.

I learned the sky by taking Sky at Night and/or Astronomy Now for a year - the monthly guides to what's up, how to find objects, and which instrument to use are very good :)

After reading alot of topics about telescopes and on other websites, I am a little confused.

I know that the bigger the aperture, the more light it lets in, meaning the more you can see. And I know that the longer the focal length, the more you can zoom in/see in detail right?

But I read online that the problem with having a really long focal length is finding good eyepieces. So, what do you recommend? I'm going for a 130-150mm aperture - but I am unsure about the focal length?

Any ideas?

It's the focal ratio you have to watch. Scopes of f-7 or less are regarded as "fast scopes" (photographically) and are less forgiving of poor eyepieces. So you'd need considerable investment in eyepieces to get best views and images.

Higher than f-7 scopes, are more forgiving on the lesser quality eyepieces - which tend to be a lot cheaper. Long focal lengths on the other hand, are generally good for nice sharp views/images of solar system objects. It also depends a lot on type and design of scope (reflector, refractor, compound, etc) as to what's best for a given purpose ;)

Hi Scott,

I am in the same position as you, ie I am (nearly) 16 and want to buy a telescope. I am thinking of going for a SkyWatcher 150mm telescope on an EQ3 GoTo mount for about 500-600 pounds as it seems pretty good value for money and, like you, I want one that can last for quite a few years. I would be interested to hear what you decide on.

I second the bit about Astronomy Now. It is a very good magazine that I have been getting for 2 years, and it is pretty cheap (£40ish) per year.

Hi Oliver, nice meeting you.

The SkyWatcher series definitely seem to the most beginner-friendly telescopes, and £500-600 is a bit strange from my point of view (Just my amateur view)

Your telescope on here has 2 options, EQ3-2 (standard) and the PRO version for double the price.

What does the PRO version do that the standard version doesn't? And is it really worth double the price of a standard one?

Cheers,

Scott

EDIT: Reading other reviews, has the PRO version the same just with the GOTO system?

Do you know any books/online sites that give a brilliant explanation on how to know the stars?

Scott

Hi Scott,

Brantuk has already mentioned "Turn Left at Orion"!...as he says this is a very usefull book as its aimed at users of small telescopes.

Not only does it give you a method for location the specific objects, but importantly it shows you what you should expect to see. I know that may sound a bit daft, after all you have probably already seen beautifull pictures in other books and magazines of some impresive deep sky objects...and you think you know what you are going to see. The important thing is...and this is important!.. as its probably the single biggest reason why a lot of people get put off almost at the first hurdle with observational astronomy..."things just don't look like they do in the pictures when observing through a small telescope"....So TLO is a great book in my opinion.. and you can use it to set your expectations.

I suspect (and certainly this was my motivation)..that many people gravitate toward astrophotography, as this is really the only way amatures can get to experience the true beauty of many of the wonders of the heavens using modest sized telescopes! (Many apologies to all the visual observers:icon_salut:)

Steve

Archived