Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Stargazing in the Maldives

SeedyF

Four weeks tomorrow I am off to some tiny atol for a fortnight. I'm hoping to get a chance to do some long exposures to create a proper star trail - assuming I can get the camera tripod priority over the wife's shoes!! And should be able to squeeze my bins in.

I'm guessing its going to be pretty dark - anyone else been there and taken in a bit of sky watching?

Friends were there recently said that the skies were amazing, your wife will probably only need flip flops on a tiny atoll, sure she wouldn't mind leaving a few pairs at home so you can pack the tech :)

You'll have an awesome time, stock up on memory cards

Chris

Hi Chris I went there about 10yrs ago stunning place very dark at night the sky looked amazing and that was just looking with my eye balls, you should have a great time there when you get back post some pics for us to see:)

Robbie

Hahaha, just found this by doing some googling........

"Your very own stargazing deck in the Maldives…With its endless horizons and minimal artificial light, the Maldives is surely one of the best places in the world for budding astrologers. With its very own star gazing roof specifically designed for watching the night skies, Alila Villas Hadahaa is an idyllic location for an astrology introduction."

http://www.malextra.com/travel/Stargazing+Holidays-1063.html

Astrology indeed :)

SeedyF - I've been lucky enough to visit several islands over several years. Once the lights are off late at night the skies are stunning. One of the best things is that you can sit on your sun lounger on the beach with your feet dangling in what can only be described as a warm bath, looking upwards just to see a see of stars.

Don't worry if it starts to could over as the sun goes down (which it unerringly does at 7pm every night) it usually clears and by the time you've finished dinner it seems to have cleared.

Also make sure you have room for an underwater camera and snorkelling equipment. The sea life is fantastic - not just the fish but the turtles, sharks and manta rays.

When I've been it's always with a view to relaxation. In fact there is so much to do and see (and eat and drink) that you end up coming home as knackered as when you first went!

I am v jealous. Hope you have a great time.

Also make sure you have room for an underwater camera and snorkelling equipment. The sea life is fantastic - not just the fish but the turtles, sharks and manta rays.

Don't worry, underwater camera & snorkel gear are first in the case, that's why we're going there, the astronomy should be an much welcome bonus :) Really looking forward to seeing turtles, had the chance to swim alongside some in Mexico a couple of years back, plenty have been reported around the island we're going to.

Having been several times to various resort islands, you are in for a treat. But to get absolutely zero light pollution, you can take a trip for a candlelit dinner on a sandbank from most resorts. These sandbanks are usually right in the middle of the atolls, far away from the resort islands with literally no light anywhere within view all the way out to a 360 degree horizon.

My advice is take the telescope or at least the binoculars, enjoy the dinner then ask them to douse the candles for an hour or two.

Oh but beware of the crabs!

My advice is take the telescope or at least the binoculars, enjoy the dinner then ask them to douse the candles for an hour or two.

Oh but beware of the crabs!

Sounds like a great idea :)

Might leave the 10" dob at home though........

You will love it, Hummingbird Air Taxis are a great bunch, pilots tend to fly barefoot, not quite using a roadmap stopwatch and compass but not far off. One pilot we met was an old cropduster from S. Dakota - great story - married into money, fell out with the wife on the honeymoon, she left, he stayed. Got a job flying with the air taxis and never looked back. That was over 20 years ago! Try to get over to Manta point, Mantas should still be there, and whale sharks should be about. Lots of tips about, use tripadvisor re. your resort, also the resort user forums - nurse shark sites, bungalows to choose etc

I was there for my honeymoon and what a awesome place. First 2 and a half days it rained which made me thing why did i bother leaving Glasgow at all but once the clouds cleared up the sky was full of stars. One night we took boat from the capital to the island we were staying. It was a 45 minute boat ride and views of the skies were amazing. No light pollution at all. I'd love to be able to have done some stargazing whilst there but i was on my honeymoon so had other matters to attend to ;) (was going to make a joke about my telescope on a 2 legged HEQ5 but can't be bothered)

Have been there three times. It's awsome, though the Islands are getting more light polluted themselves. First went in 1989, no real airport to speak of, and at the end the wings used to overhang the water as they turned round...., now they have an aircon international building (of sorts) still does not prepare you for the blast of humidity as they open the door...

Hummingbird do not exist now its twin Otters that do the taxi service, though our first island had a microlight strung on top of of a RIB (rigid inflatable boat).

You will have an awsome time there, I am envious, dont forget to look down on your feet as you walk the coral sands at night as you will have blue beads of phosphoresence on them.. If you can take a pair of 10*50s.

Have a great time.

Cheers

Been lucky enough to go a few times including for my honeymoon last year. It's amazing and you're in for a treat. Wish I could have packed a mount and scope - the views of the milky way were just astounding. Have a great time.

Archived