Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

telescope making

nathanhatton

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You *may* be able to find a cardboard tube suitable, though I've not looked. As I hopefully have a 10" mirror set turning up next week I've also looked for tubes of similar dimensions. The only things I've found so far are (plastic) underground drain pipe and (metal spiral) aircon pipe.

I'm having serious thoughts about a truss construction instead.

James

I'm having problems looking for a tube. Essex tubes only have 10" and 6mm (I wanted 1-2" thickness) and the other company can only do 10" but right thickness. Give them a go you may be on with the thickness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would cardboard tubes not be susceptible to air moisture content in the long run, no matter if you coated them? Also they can be quite easy to "dent".

I am in the printed displays trade working with paper based products, but this also crosses over to permanent displays.

I ofter wondered if a metal / plastic fabricator could make anything you wanted to diameter and length wise, but do not know if their costs would be prohibitive, I will make an enquiry with some contacts on possibilities, and let you guys know.

Speak with a local fabricator.

Get them to make you a rolled steel tube, with a beaded seam. They can guide you on thickness / gauge etc. but this is the approach I'm going to take when I make my dob (if I ever get any time to myself to finish the mirrors).

im having trouble locating a 10 or 12inch tube that is 5 foot in length anyone got any ideas and also looking for a equatorial fullerscope mount if anyone is selling one

I've bought 8-inch tube from the site below before. They also do 10-inch. They were cheaper than Essex tubes for what I needed;

POSTAL TUBES - DEFENDA SUPER STRONG 10" Wider Diameter - FREE DELIVERY

I've bought 8-inch tube from the site below before. They also do 10-inch. They were cheaper than Essex tubes for what I needed;

POSTAL TUBES - DEFENDA SUPER STRONG 10" Wider Diameter - FREE DELIVERY

Interesting, I was looking at this site the other day. How moisture resistant are they? What would be the best way to treat them against direct water contact? I also wonder how they compare against steel & carbon fibre for expansion/contraction?

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anothet source of large light weight waterproof tubes are amateur rocketing suppliers. These guys compete to make their rockets go the highest so we can take a lateral step into their market. Kite suppliers are good for carbon truss components.

I enjoyed trying out aluminium braising with a blow torch and special solder. It cost £70 for a torch and solder kit. I watched a couple of YouTube videos and a couple of weekends later I had a lihght

Telescope Service sell the bare GSO tubes quite cheaply. 10" f5 tube is about £31.00 delivered to the UK. They also do the other bits as well but hey can drive the cost up a lot.

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/index.php/language/de/cat/c64_Telescope-Making-----mechanical-parts.html/filter_id/14

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/index.php?cat=c64_Telescope-Making-----mechanical-parts.html&sort=&XTCsid=9dqueqtv6t050kkeki3o4uglo1v7embk&filter_id=

John

Archived