Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Dunkster

Canon 10x42 IS L for astro?

I have the IS 10x30 and have had them for about 17 years ( i know i had them before moving house :-) )  The stabilisation still works flawlessly - I do keep the lens caps on and  stored in the white soft bag inside the carry case when not in use. I also ensure that I keep decent batteries in them and if storing them, remove the batteries.   The other  thing that i am careful about is when the batteries do run down, you get a shudder in the mechanism when you engage the IS. At this point I stop using the IS or change the batteries.  I have a couple of sets of rechargeable that I swap around.  I am a bit fussy about care and foo look after them but they have lasted well so far.

John

• Like 1

That is very, very impressive, John. Good answer.

Olly

I had occasion a month or so ago to choose between 10x42 and 15x50 IS Canons. I'd come across them used at different shops. I'd looked at all the online reviews, and many people had gone for the 10x, 15x and even the 18x IS. The general view was that the x10 was the best optically and most stable, x15 was good and stability OK, x18 showed most detail but struggled the most with stabilization. I was leaning towards the 10x because of the better optics, but wasn't sure. I had some old binocs at home, so I spent a few hours with a 10x and 15x of similar FOV to the IS. I decided that the x15 showed more detail and gave the best viewing experience over the evening. I got the x15 and have not regretted it. During imaging runs I can now do a bit of exploring, and even star hopping! I'm surprised how much I'm using them, there're by the door and I just grab them if it's clear. It's opened up a new avenue for me, and the IS makes them a joy to use handheld. Not noticed any serious problems with the IS on. Planning to take them on holiday instead of a grab and go scope!

• Like 3

I've had my Canon 15x 50s for 10 years now. Cost £600 when i brought them back in 2004 from WEXP.

I adore them, and will keep them till the end of my days.

Enough said.

I also have a pair of IS 15x50. As good as the stabilization feature is, the stars are slightly fuzzy using it. And sharpness drops too.

For serious stargazing i recommend a parallelogram, with one the stars from this bin vastly improve to the point of becoming perfectly sharp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk