Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Aurora from 13th & 14th March

Pretty impressive for sure. The weather forcast was for snow and sleet with overcast skies! if you want the weather to change in Iceland! "Wait a minute" was cold but incredible. Cant wait to get back there now in September & October

As part of my work I am also an astronomy consultant for Explore. I'm their accompanying astronomer on their astro trips. We had 4 groups do the trip ti Iceland through Feb/March, all of them saw the aurora to some degree but this last group got 2 great displays. More trips are on the web site and I am currently working on a Norway trip with them too.

Thinking of going to Iceland for a long weekend later this year. Maybe Autumn time. Flights are only £160 return at the moment.

Is that Easyjet out of Luton?

We are paying 250 quid each with Icelandair from Glasgow. Heathrow and Manchester will be more expensive.

Just remember when you get there that Iceland is expensive. Even the fuel isnt that much cheaper and eating out is v expensive, most places £25 for a main meal but up to £60 + starter/desert. Even the service stations arent cheap to eat in.

You will fly to Keflavik and then you will need a car. The best weather is usually on the east side of the Island but it is a 7-10 hour drive from thr airport.

Just wondered how the images compare to what you actually can see with the naked eye?

The main display on Wednesday evening was as spectacular to the eye as it was the camera but the lesser displays are better shown on the camera. The yare however still visible.

It just deopends on the intensity of the Aurora.

Archived