Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

One thing i noticed....

....is there is never much conversation around scopes like the Meade ETX125.

Are they not as popular as i thought or do people not really like them, I at one point considered a second hand one as a more portable second scope.

iv got the lower etx 70 and where optically it is really good, machanically it is well, i would get a warning if i described it directly so lets say maure

its very plasticy the gears inside are plastic, and all the sites i looked on to fix mine said the same thing with same problems

it seems meade are trying to move away from all the plastic with the new mounts about to be released, but not many people buy them now, perhaps with the exception of the LS models and the etx 80 backpack

So just for casual visual viewing maybe but definatly not intense astrophotography or long nights viewing, in general not appauling but there are better options out there ?

Options for a second scope anyone ?

I found my etx optics as good as the megrez some nights But go for a Celestion cpc 9.25 or a Celestion 8 on the nexstar

For ap if you want wide field megreZ 70 or ed 80 or them starwave 80

But it's all in the mount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the ETX 125 PE, brilliant optics and have had no problems with the mount yet, I have took some images of moon and planets, the moon was brilliant, mars jupiter and saturn not bad but that was down to me.

Before Synta brought out the AZ goto, Meade ETX was a good choice for a 5" CAT. However, nowadays it cost 50% more than the AZ GOTO/SLT, and have a reputation for unreliable electronics, plastic gearing, and noise. Meade OTA is fixed to the mount while Synta's are removable. Synta OTA and mount can be swap readily while the Meade OTA cannot be used on other mounts without modification and the ETX mount cannot support other OTA.

Also, current ETX125 is built in Mexico while AZ GT/ SLT is made in China. Between Mexican and Chinese, personally I will go for the Chinese, they've more experience building telescope.

There are very little reason to choose the ETX125 over the SLT, especially in the beginner market.

As said Meade's had/have problems with the plastic drive mechanism they used.:)

Equally troll through the last years of SGL and you will see posts about the problems with the Celestron/SW handset and electronics.:)

Think that part of the Meade problem was the instructions "Tighten the clutches". How much do you tighten them, some people TIGHTENED them and plastic cannot take it.:)

I have had a Meade ETX-70 for 12 years and it is going fine, work mate has had an ETX-90 for 6-7 years and no problems.

I suppose the fact that you haven't read anything about Meades mean there are not reports of the old failures much more. Can it considered good news.

I did have a 125 many years ago but it was an impulse buy from Warehouse Express and did last long as finances force the sale, i did like it but knew so little about astro anything at the time didn't get the most out of it before i had to sell. Such a shame :)

I bought one in 2000. It was supposed to be some kind of resurrection of a 70's astronomy interest. The focusing is total **** and has failed three times. The mount... I threw that away, actually. Optically, it is quite good.

Anyone want it? It's presently in my closet...

:)

/per

Archived