Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Sky at Night vs Astronomy Now

New to this, I was looking for useful magazines.

The Sky At Night TV progs were good, I thought. Elementary, but good. And interesting. So I thought the S-A-N magazine ought to be worth while too.

I bought one. And was rather disappointed. All very Brian Cox and Sir Elderly Thingummy, but the rest of it was extremely shallow. Very good advertisements though.

I wondered what other astronomy magazines were available. Discovered there was one called Astronomy Now, so I went out and bought one.

Several notches up in the intelligence scale, I thought. Useful articles. Interesting.

BUT ... I admit I've only bought one issue of each magazine. So far, I feel inclined to subscribe to Astronomy Now, and to set S-A-N aside as a dumbed-down coffee-table mag.

I'd be interested to hear what other SGL aficionados think.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you do a search in the forum, you will find several thread about this. The general consensus is AN is the better of the two. I agree with them for the same reason you mentioned.

When I go to WHSmith, I usually pick up Astronomy Now (AN) and Sky & Telescope (S&T). I only pick up S@N when there is a really good article.

You've kind of summed it up nicely i think. AN covers things at a higher level but i like to buy both when i can afford it and just AN when i cant.

Here in spain the astronomy magazine is more geared towards Astronomers than casual observers so lots of articles on the latest theories and observations with one in depth equipement review....which i prefer. (closer to AN than SaN)

Search for the other threads as the responces will only be a rehash of the same old same old.

Enviado desde mi GT-I9003 usando Tapatalk

I've only bought AN once (last month) but my wife should be getting the new edition for me today. I did find it a bit more in depth and technical than SaN but still a good read.

I'll probably buy both for a few months before deciding which (if any) to subscribe to. As I don't have a PC (just a Mac) most of the software on the SaN disc is of no use, although the section where they talk about that months sky is ok.

I generally buy all three if I see them and the wife has given me my pocket money :). In order of preference I'd go AN, SaN, S&T.

Although S&T is a very good magazine, at times, I find some of the articles too academical and they don't make for easy reading; also being American, most of the adverts etc are irrelevant to the UK (won't stop me buying it though) - just my opinion you understand :).

Peter

For those owning an iPad (not sure about the Android tablets), SaN is available in Zinio as digital magazine. The US "Astronomy" as well. I don't know about Astronomy Now, looks like they are still stuck in the paper age.

For those owning an iPad (not sure about the Android tablets), SaN is available in Zinio as digital magazine. The US "Astronomy" as well. I don't know about Astronomy Now, looks like they are still stuck in the paper age.

I bought last months S@N on Zinio, I love my iPad but some things just don't feel the same as holding an old fashioned paper magazine. :)

I bought last months S@N on Zinio, I love my iPad but some things just don't feel the same as holding an old fashioned paper magazine. :)

true, I think it's also because they usually just "dump" a pdf version of their magazine in an iPad app. It would be nicer if they would also optimise their layout and features. But that will cost extra $$.

Still, I'm currently switching all my "analog" subscriptions to digital where possible. Only need to take my iPad to the bog instead of a stack of magazines :):icon_salut:

I have a parallel subscription to both AN and SaN. The intention at the time was SaN was running astrophoto series, I would cancel after that and continue with AN.

It is true if you want a science magazine you should get AN. SaN is more practical, so the latest series on image processing is quite useful for me.

In the end I have decided to let the AN subs lapse as I usually get my science fix online through following various Twitter and Google+ science geeks, and will keep SaN for its practical, sometimes DIY articles.

My experience is a little dated, but:

AN.. ok but I found it on the noddy end of life

Astronomy (is it still going) slightly better but still fairly noddy, very 'chatty'.

S&T.. good mag which I migrated to after my first year, more serious but helped me through my second year.

The Web... better than any of them as it allows much greater depth and you can ask questions.

Derek

Although S&T is a very good magazine, at times, I find some of the articles too academical and they don't make for easy reading; also being American, most of the adverts etc are irrelevant to the UK (won't stop me buying it though) - just my opinion you understand :).

Peter

I found the opposite. I feel S&T has been dumbed down/made more accessible in recent years. Of course I'm not suggesting it should become like the BAA journal, which is not something to read for fun, but I won't mind they put in a bit more technical details.

btw, I like paper magazine over electronics. They look better on my book shelf. :)

This is great news,thanks for that.

Going to try it now.

Danny.

I subscribe to both AN and S@N - have done for years - and normally find several articles of interest each month in both of them.

AN is slightly more 'academic' whereas S@N is more practical and hands-on so I think they compliment one another very well - which is a good thing because what would be the point of two magazines which approach the subject identically?

As for electronic V paper, give me paper any day. It is not for nothing that we have never achieved the coveted 'paperless office' and I certainly hope we never achieve the 'paperless magazine'. The S@N CD goes some way to addressing the electronics ethos but I'd still want to see it as a bonus, not a replacement. For my electronic fix, there is the amazing amount of Internet content submitted by private individuals to more than keep me satisfied.

I get both Astronomy Now & Sky @ Night, and have been for over 12 months. "Astronmy Now" does seem to be for Astronomers at a "higher level", and some of the articles for me as a beginner take a bit of reading to fully understand. I sometimes have to read several times. Sky @ Night in my opinion is more targetted at the beginner & novice level, and the reviews section is always a good read.

The monthly star maps & sky tours in both mags are excellent. My particular favourite is Patrick Moores lunar target.

Overall, both mags are excellent reads & have learnt so much from both, so why settle with just having one of them.....

Have been a subscriber of S@N for a while now and I must admit I do like it. Correct me if I am wrong but all the other astronomy mags are written for the US market????? With that In mind I like the S@N as it is written with UK astronomers in mind. I am sure that someone will correct me if I have got it wrong. Maybe I should pick up a copy of one of the others and give it a go.

Also you get the cd with the S@N which can prove useful with additional sky maps, articles, etc.........

im a S@N and have been for over a year, but i do like reading the articles and the what to see and what to image. and it complements the tv show as well

i rarely use the disks

it all boils down to what you want to get out of them

easy to understand

articles

equipement

each one goes for one type of person

i wil admit thers a few months iv not liked the mag, but i will keep having it

i have sometimes bought the american ones theres one thats full of sientific journels but i cant remember its name now. fairly small in size compared to S@N but thats really good

perhaps the best advice is for next 3 months buy as many as you can aford, give them all a read and see which suits you best

Thanks for the replies.

The general consensus seems to be towards AN, and I think I'll probably opt to subscribe to that one. However, I haven't seen Sky & Telescope on the shelves yet - I'll have to look out for it and get a copy before I make up my mind.

Only need to take my iPad to the bog instead of a stack of magazines :):)

I'd have thought a stack of magazines would be eminently useful in the bog!

Thanks for the replies.

The general consensus seems to be towards AN, and I think I'll probably opt to subscribe to that one. However, I haven't seen Sky & Telescope on the shelves yet - I'll have to look out for it and get a copy before I make up my mind.

I'd have thought a stack of magazines would be eminently useful in the bog!

they have sky n scope in wmsmiths :)

Archived