Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M13

astro_dog

This is my M13 from last October with a SPC900 LX on my Skymax Mak 127

I think it was ~20 x 15 sec exposures. I was really pleased with it for AltAz :)

Getting the core on the chip was a faff!

M13rework.jpg

Visually, you need to use averted vision to 'get' M13 with the Mak :)

Funnily enough, I'm on M13 now with my ED80, this time guided on my EQ!

i own a skymax127, i know its not the best for dso's , but should i be able to see M13, ive been trying to see it for some time now but nothing. anyone seen it with a similar scope?

M13 is observable in bins. In fact some say it's naked eye do-able from very dark skies.

So in answer. Yes your 127 will show it very easily indeed.

Regards Steve

Astrodog

M13 is definitely within the reach of a 127 Mak for visual observing depending on location and level of light pollution (not sure where abouts you're located).

To give yourself the best chance of seeing it clearly you'll want to try and find it when Hercules is high in the sky.

Tyr

thanks for all your posts guys. Ive only been doin this a cpl of years. Its interesting using this forum, i've made four posts now and i've been very impressed with all the responses since joining, i feel its advancing my knowledge much faster than struggling for solutions alone. Thanks to everyone thats replied!

@brumtaffy : your image is inspiring as its taken with the same scope. I was just wondering about your phillips lx, is that a webcam? I tried to google it, but couldnt find any info. I thought webcams could only be used for planetary stuff, and you say you were using alt az? I really want to start imaging using a similar setup, skymax 127 on a nexstar slt mount. can i get decent results on this setup without spending much more money? If i only need a better camera or decent webcam , i would be over the moon, as having started doing a little reading on astrophotography, i am saving for better equipment. Maybe i dont need it though, as you seem to be doin just fine.

Any tips would be appreciated, i'm not after winning any photography awards, it would be nice to just capture what i find and see where it goes from there.

just remember, even with the brighter objests,you still want to cool down the scope,and let your eyes get well adated to the dark. it helps heaps.

when i first found m13 on low power, it looked like a smudged star slighly bloated.

ive not resolved indidual stars with my 90mm.

Archived