New astrotrac but interesting test subs any ideas?

well had my astrotrac this morning and through some bad planning it turned out i had the wrong size screw on my dovetail (the AT wanted a 3.8 not 1/4:( )

i made up a makeshift mount (obviously i knew it wouldnt work that good, but i expected more than i had)

i took 3 times of exposures, + 1 set of darks

5 X 15 seconds

5 X 30 seconds

5 X 1 min 30 seconds

and 2 X 1.30 darks

i stacked them in DSS and this is what i got

garethmob-albums-astrotrac-pics-picture16252-15-stacked.jpg

garethmob-albums-astrotrac-pics-picture16253-30-stacked.jpg

garethmob-albums-astrotrac-pics-picture16251-1-30-stacked.jpg

now i didnt polar allign ( the make shift mount was rested flat on a table being held up by battery pack and dovetail so it could more unrestricted

but i expected being able to take longer subs than 15 seconds

the camera is a little out of focus so that didnt help it was pointed dead straight up to the zenith LP wasnt too bad straight up compared to lower down

canon DSLR with 58mm lens stepped to F4 iso 800 bulb mode

but any suggestions?

thanks guys

gaz

Hi Garethmob,

I think your senor could do with a clean.

Not sure what the problem is here. At 58mm you could probably take a better picture with a fixed tripod ie without the Astrotrac.

Polar alignment is important to track the stars and prevent field rotation (but then you knew this already). You might want to wait until you scan crew everything together properly, then polar align. I'm sure then the results will be much more successful.

Good Luck

Tim

lol i have a arora flat field doo daa screen to do that the problem with the 300d is that it dosent have that fancy feture the newer ones have of sonics and i dont fancy blowing air into the sensor hole, the lens need a clean though i admit :) but they are 20 - 40 years old (m42 thread)

im tempted to drive up to forest drive tonight and give it a go in a proper dark place (providing its clear:P)

thanks for the help though tim, i'll be honest i expected more but then my fancy "table mount isnt exactly the best:P

its the same as what i got with the eq3-2 after i did polar allign it. i just expected more althrough as tim said after i screw everything together it will probally work better. thanks

so no polar alignment and you get trailed stars.

yep, its a mystery

lol i have a arora flat field doo daa screen to do that the problem with the 300d is that it dosent have that fancy feture the newer ones have of sonics and i dont fancy blowing air into the sensor hole, the lens need a clean though i admit :) but they are 20 - 40 years old (m42 thread)

Why not blow some air in it? I did in the days of my 20D? I also cleaned my sensor about 4 or 5 times. It's really not that scary. Just roll up your sleeves so that fibres from you clothes don't fall onto the sensor. Also where some latex gloves ( non powdered ) so that flakes of your skin doesn't fall onto the sensor. Then using a clean swab (not cotton bud) and alcohol clean away.

Just a thought...

its the same as what i got with the eq3-2 after i did polar allign it. i just expected more althrough as tim said after i screw everything together it will probally work better. thanks

Don't take this the wrong way, but are you sure you polar aligned on Polaris? Through a polar scope a star is a star and there are many of them about. I've picked the wrong one before now :)

Noooo not taken wrong way. We all make mistakes and in this hobby I take all the advice and chritasism as best advice. Within reason of course :)

That's what I hated in te 3-2 no alluminator shining a red torch down top while straing to look up really hurt my back worse than a shift in work of 19 boxs of pop down 20 yards an up 15 stairs (done tha before then guy had cheek to say "we keeping you fit"))

Anyway it's gone now to a good home :). Got a tripod coming tomorrow so gonna see then:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok iv decided the tripod with the cheap heads arnt gonna work. Neither the manfrotto or the ball could hold the astrotrac let along any accessarys with out moving. So had a rethink and came up with this. I think it's a little over kill but it is very portable and light compared to the eq3-2 was

Have it running for its 2 hours now to see if I get any problems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post-21834-133877751045_thumb.jpg

Archived