SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

New to stargazing

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"out" is away from the centre of the scope, so the eyepiece moves towards you. "in" is towards the centre of the scope.

So, turn the focuser knob until the eyepiece is extended as far as it will go. Then whilst looking through the eyepiece, turn the focuser knob in the opposite direction until you start to see things or it's as far the other way as it goes.

James

How much detail should I expect to see from looking at clouds with a H20mm eye piece ?

Or how much detail should I see with a SR4mm eye piece ?

I think I've figured it out, but I don't know how much detail I should see in a faint cloud amongst blue sky

I'm not sure I can answer those questions. Try focusing on distant buildings or trees or something. With the 20mm eyepiece you should get around 15x magnification, with the 4mm around 75x magnification.

James

Possibly not, but I have no idea what the limit of focus for that scope is likely to be. Telescopes intended for astronomy often won't focus on close objects.

I'd expect you to see objects more magnified than with the binoculars and a little clearer. There's not a huge amount of difference in the light-gathering area of your binoculars and the telescope though -- only about 15%, although it's all concentrated on one eye rather than being split between two.

James

Oh okay then, I've managed to focus on a tree which is about 10meters away from me, but still haven't managed to focus on anything in the sjy, been playing about with it for a while though, suppose its just a case of getting used to it

Hopefully I will see something tonight, although I'm not going to get my hopes up too much

Is it a case of thay if I can focus in to a distant building/tree, I ll be able to leave the focus alone and just look up at stars tonight ?

Is it a case of thay if I can focus in to a distant building/tree, I ll be able to leave the focus alone and just look up at stars tonight ?

If the tree our building is a few hundred metres away or so, yes, but you will still need to refocus slightly for astronomical objects. It is common to have to refocus slightly throughout a session and also whenever you change eyepieces.

I've managed to pick out a few things with the 20mm piece but I can't see a single thing with the 4mm piece ... Tried leaving it in the same position and changing eyepieces but still nothing

Any ideas why ?

Also what is the differencr between a 4mm eyepiece and 20mm ?

I've read a lot of reviews and everyone has said I ll be able to see the rings of saturn very faintly ... Would I be able to see them with the 20 or would I have to use the 4mm ?

Would it be worth me buying a 10mm eyepiece ? As I can't seem to see anything atall out of my 4mm

Archived