SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

I'm going out for some photocopy paper, I may be some time

Don't know about other parts of the country but in Glasgow we have had horizon to horizon cloud cover for weeks. On the forecast they said it was the wettest winter on record for Scotland. The Oban weather station recorded 119 consequtive days of rain! My dob has been in the cupboard for nearly three months. I have taken to having a pair of bins round my neck when I take the dog for a walk in case there should be a gap in the clouds. There was a week with some clear skies when I was in Mull but the moon beamed down with idiot good humour the whole time. My tactic of drinking heavily and subscribing to Medieval Woodwind Monthly is only partially succesfull. How do you cope without your fix of astro?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with Kieth - plan for some cloud observing and if your'e convincing enough to the cloud Gods, they may break and you might be able to sneak in a couple hours of star gazing:D

Been the same here in Glasgow too. It's been about three weeks since I used my telescope. Missed the Jupiter/Venus alignment thing too :)

I think it all started when I bought my collimation tool... sods law, and his law is a sod.

What a coincidence, I bought a cheshire and the weather changed about then, I had some half baked idea to go up with the scope to Loch Tarsan and do a star test. that was some time ago. Where do you do your observing in Glasgow ronnie?

119 days of rain thats poor, really feel for you there
thats pretty normal up here [think in a few generations the peeps will have webbed feet and gills [tbh some already have them:)]

Been the same here in Glasgow too. It's been about three weeks since I used my telescope. Missed the Jupiter/Venus alignment thing too :)

I think it all started when I bought my collimation tool... sods law, and his law is a sod.

last week there was a clear sky [thursday night got about 3 hours of viewing ] i'm in the south west of glasgow and tend to go towards the glenniffer braes/lugton area[thay was when i used bins] not been out with my scope apart from my garden:)]

last week there was a clear sky [thursday night got about 3 hours of viewing ] i'm in the south west of glasgow and tend to go towards the glenniffer braes/lugton area[thay was when i used bins] not been out with my scope apart from my garden:)]

How is the LP from Glasgow? I am across the water in Dunoon and you can still see an orange glow to the east.

its not the worst as i have an open playing field in front of my house so can get some decent views if the clouds ever disapear:) but my sister has a caravan at loch lomond so will hopefully get there at easter before the midges. i have been using bins for about a year and only got my scope about a month ago so its backgarden obs atm[hopefully get out next week as i have a week off work ]

its not the worst as i have an open playing field in front of my house so can get some decent views if the clouds ever disapear:) but my sister has a caravan at loch lomond so will hopefully get there at easter before the midges. i have been using bins for about a year and only got my scope about a month ago so its backgarden obs atm[hopefully get out next week as i have a week off work ]

Sounds good, you will be a short drive away from the Rest And Be Thankfull. Very dark there and quite high up. Might be worth a visit. I go there sometimes with bins

Loch Lomond is the reason i got started in this astro biznes i went camping a couple of years ago to loch lomond and on the last night it was clear skies i looked up and OMG what a sight the milkyway in all its splender never seen anything like it and haven't since in cloudy Darlington i still dream about the sight of all that sky full of ....i cant find the words to describe it.

Loch Lomond is the reason i got started in this astro biznes i went camping a couple of years ago to loch lomond and on the last night it was clear skies i looked up and OMG what a sight the milkyway in all its splender never seen anything like it and haven't since in cloudy Darlington i still dream about the sight of all that sky full of ....i cant find the words to describe it.

mine's was when i walked the west highland way 2years ago camped on rannoch moor [about a mile from kingshouse] and woke up about 2 am to the most stunning view i had ever/have seen ,as we were rough camping we didn't even have bins:( so ended up trying to take photos with my iphone [wasn't good just black :)

In the last ten weeks I've-

Flocked.

Bought a new eyepiece

New USB cables.

New cable management system

Fitted a second dovetail bar

bought a new controller for EQmod

Tuned up the stock focuser

Fitted replacement Alt bolts

Have I used any of it? I got an hour two weeks ago to image the moon - and had to use the Syntrek handset to do it because of cloud.

My parents are on the NW side of Mull, every time we come up to see them it's raining!! We've been there when it's coming down nearly horizontaly.

Mind you last Oct we came up for a few days and one night it was totally clear, so scope in the car and drove up to the top of the hill road and what a sight, it takes your breath away.

When it's clear it's the best sky I've ever seen.

How do I cope without an astro fix ? Well I purchased a copy of the Cambridge Photographic star atlas, it dosn`t get cloudy in there, I can spend ages looking at the night sky as it should be and with aid of a large 4" magnifying glass plot out routes and asterisms to subjects I want look at when the Cloud Gods are having fun elsewhere :)

Think I've had better luck with clearish skies here in Surrey/SW London although LP is dire :)- a log check shows obs/imaging on 23 nights eg Jan=11 Feb=8 and March=4 so far and fairly typical for the year. I close obsy before midnight and having scope+cam ready to go works wonders :) Couple of DSO snaps from last night with LVM <3.0 eg could barely make out the Plough but cam 'sees' for me :)

post-33671-13387774766_thumb.jpg

post-33671-133877747664_thumb.jpg

Archived