Yes!!

Good evening everyone!

Had a quick 20 minutes while the sky was clear before - unexpected considering all the cloud that's been knocking about recently.

Got tripod setup with the binoculars pointing around the North West direction at Jupiter and Venus! After a good look at Venus ( Not much to report back regarding detail or colour. Jus really looked like a over exposed white, round circle. Was impressive to think that it was actually venus though!!) I moved on to Jupiter. After reading what a lot of people have said on here and other places, I was a bit unsure of what to expect. After settling the gear - was a bit wobbly with the standard tripod adapter you get with the binos (reminds me to have a look for a aluminium one) I was very, very surprised at the viewing! Jupiters' 4 moons all on display in a almost perfect line! I was very happy with the findings.

Sadly, after about 20 minutes, the cloud starting coming in again. Persevered with it just to see if it would pass but it just got thicker and thicker. While I was still looking through the clouds I again, was amazed at the viewing. Although the moons weren't on offer, the cloud had taken the glare off Jupiter and you could see - unless it was me imagining it (Which it probably was! Haha) A little bit more colour and detail. It was perfectly round. It was a lovely sight! I can't wait for another clear night just to have another viewing.

Gets me a bit excited for the time to get a 'scope!

Thank you for reading.

Have a nice night.

Tom.

Glad you even got 20 minutes in.

It clouded up after being sunny during the day here and the outlook appears to be rubbish too!

It's been cloudy since last Thursday I think! You never really notice if it's clear or cloudy until you're waiting for it to be clear! :)

Hopefully won't be too much of a wait for you!

What binos were you using Tom? You make a good point about how the view of bright planets can be improved when observing them through thin, high cloud - something I have noticed too.

Hello Mike.

I'm using 15x70 Celestron SkyMaster binos with a Manfrotto DSLR tripod.

Yeah it was strange. You're right, they were high thin clouds and just thick enough to take the brightness down just enough to view a bit more. Bit like when cloud covers the sun and takes a lot of glare off it.

Thanks for commenting.

Tom.

Archived