Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Astronomical groups in south wales

garethmob

after talks in other threads i thought i would start this so the threads could get back to on topic :)

this threads on all the astronomical groups in south wales

so CAS - Cardiff Astronomical Society

UAS - Usk Astronomical Society

SAS - Swansea Astronomical Society

HoV - Heads of the Valleys Society

Abergavenny Astro Society

BAS - Bridgend Astronomical Society

any others iv missed out pm me or a mod (Helen) to update the post :)

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i used to be a member of usk and the chairman used to be my physics teacher, but due to distance and day im unable to go to it

interested in cardiff's looked at the website and theres a lot on there what can i do to join and what am i expected there?

I used to be a member of it when i was much younger but mike is also a member of usk astro. Does t have a web site or anything. I know mikes house contacts are on a site I found

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its worth joining CAS Gaz, the obsy is excellent and the event I volunteered for was first class you do get good value for the membership fee. I will have to pop along one night nilchill I used to live in Ebbw vale

The ebbw one is great. I was a member there when i was 13 took my first scope for mike to fix the Meade 70at they are really nice people. But only meet up once a month where usk ( a few same members) meet up every week

there is a web page for Heads of the valleys atronomical society its

hovastronomy.org.uk.

please be aware I am in the process of updating the appearance and information on the site so it will be changing soon.

by the way the next meeting is this week, Friday the 16th. the talk is to be about Mars , observing and the history of observing the planet.

the meeting in Usk talk, this week is Spectroscopy.

there is a web page for Heads of the valleys atronomical society its

hovastronomy.org.uk.

please be aware I am in the process of updating the appearance and information on the site so it will be changing soon.

by the way the next meeting is this week, Friday the 16th. the talk is to be about Mars , observing and the history of observing the planet.

the meeting in Usk talk, this week is Spectroscopy.

Added :) thanks nillchill

My puppy's eaten the USB charge cable for my dongle so iv only got my phone so can some one (if a mod pops over) update my first post with the heads of the valley site nillchill posted please:). I can't see who's a mod n who's not on Tapatalk

that is one thing iv noticed expessially with the ones i posted

usk, the HOV and abergaveny are all clustered in the same area, wouldnt bridgend or cardiff be close to you, i know in work we deliver up the RCT (at porth all way up to mardy n over mountain to aberdare) and theres talk of us taking tonireval and the other RCT valley up to treorcy off bridgened store, wouldnt bridgend be close?

hi gareth, im in tonyrefail :)

bridgends about 14 miles and cardiffs about 16 so not that far. all i need to do is find someone who drives who likes astronomy as well :)

i did learn donkies years ago but never passed my test, maybe one day ill learn again

Lol apologies for my really bad spelling

Unfortunately im about 20+miles away otherwise id help

Iv added you to the map there a few members near you give them a pm :)

It is nice to see that there is a lot of us here. We were considering making an as society but it's along way off being done yet

Guys and Gals

CAS would welcome some practacle observers to assist in running observing events at castle heights in caerphilly and at Dyfryn gardens Cardiff. Dont forget as a member there you would have access to use their observatory once you have completed a training course which is simple if you can set up a mead scope or the likes of. i know i wrote the manual for the obsy. you do have ot book the observatory though as it is inside the ground of dyfryn gardens.

i no longer attend their meeting or very rarely at least as it is not easy for me to get home now the car is off the road until i find a job. and they would be pleased if someone can take some pressure off the committee members who do most of the chores and talks and observing sesions.

Archived