Narrowband

helios telescope d=114mm f=900mm

Selina

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi selena. I would recommend the gumtree route as this is what I done. I have now bought and sold a few telescopes on gumtree and have made a nice profit but I would also say that, if you buy 2nd hand, you shouldnt realy lose any money. I have found that basicly a 2nd hand scope at a decent price will stay at that price so when you do come to upgrade and sell your original scope you will have the same money as when you have started. (if not in profit) Also any accessories you buy such as better eyepieces or balows or filters will be your for life and will fit most any other scope.

Also I found google and these forums invaluable(?) for reviews and opinions on possible purchases. In fact I would go as far as to say just joining these forums and being able to ask the silly questions has helped me to learn much faster and enjoy much more when I am out looking at the sky.

Thanks again everyone. So ive been able to increase the budget :) to about £150, max £200, any suggestions of what to get with the new budget? I would love to look at planets / moons and if possible galaxies, but nothing too big that i cant carry it myself into the garden!

Hi and welcome:) with your increased budget and a need for a portable setup, a Maksutov springs to mind, they are very small and compact with a long focal length which is excellant for planets and the moon, also the quality of the views is very good indeed. The only down side is that they arn't as good on galaxies as a reflector like the 150p but a mak will be highly portable, and wont need collumnating like a reflector (collumnating is when you adjust the primary mirror to keep the optics all lined up nicely, you need extra kit to do this accurately like a cheshire collumnator) A Maksutov or indeed a refractor wont need collumnating and will be portable:) see below for ideas below 150 pounds:

http://www.bristolcameras.co.uk/p-skywatcher-skymax-90-eq1-10673-.htm#Images

or

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/evostar/skywatcher-evostar-90-az3.html

both these are really light and below 150 quid and will give good views for the price bracket, if you can also affored a nice eyepiece to go with your scope it would also make a difference as the ones they supply on cheap scopes don't generally live upto the scopes potential:)

Archived