Do You Ever Get Scared @ A Dark Location?

I think I'm quite lucky in that my friend is smaller than me so would be the obvious target and give me a chance to run away. Also I tend to be the scariest person out at night. I think the best thing is that the police do a sweep after dark of car parks in the hills and Forrest clearings that we use for viewing.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No. I love it in fact. No such thing as ghosts or the paranormal. If there were then why, with all the technology we have nowadays, has someone not conclusively proved their existence? Ditto Bigfoot, Big Cats, UFO kidnapping etc...

The only thing you need to be scared of is other people. And ask yourself, in all honesty, there are bigger fish to fry than us at our geek hobby assuming they find you in the middle of nowhere...

Steve

Just the other week, when I visited Tenerife I drove up high into the Teide National Park with the intention of taking a few photographs.

I parked up in a large picnic area, which is normally very busy during the day. However, when I pulled up it was empty. Not a soul to be seen. Just me all alone in the dark.

As soon as I got out of the car I looked up to see the most gorgeous Milky Way I've ever seen. I was at an altitude of around 7000 ft.

I then started to get my camera, tripod etc out of the car to setup for some pics, I started to hear a dog barking in the distance. The dog did not sound friendly.

It could not have belonged to anybody because I was too far away from any town, and it could not have been anyone walking a dog either due to it being so remote.

I stopped for a minute or two whilst I tried to listen for the dog. I then heard it again and it sounded closer, and MORE unfriendly!

I threw everything back in the car, hurriedly, then got back in. My heart was beating fast, I don't mind admitting. I turned on the lights and looked around the area. I could see nothing. I waited for about 5 minutes then got out again.

Again, I started getting my camera & things out of the car. I started to take some pictures for a few minutes until I heard the dreaded bark, again. It sounded even closer than ever.

I thought "thats it". Threw everything back in the car and drove the hell out of there.

I was really disapointed, too, because I could have taken some great pictures had I not been scared off by the wild dog.

I drove to another nearby location which was 'safer' because it was near a main road, but not as good for photos.

I'll freely admit to being a big jessie at night on my own, despite being 6ft tall, 14st former front row rugby player and did a couple of years Ju Jitsu in my youth.

There be monsters in the back of my mind, so I always go with a friend rather than on my own.

As a commuting cyclist, I get stick off kids on mopeds, idiots in cars, yobs on the pavement...I think my rucksack must have a big sign that says "I've cycled 7 miles after a hard day at work. I'm knackered and probably won't be able to catch you and beat you senseless, so go on... yell in my ear as you drive past!"

was out last year near glasgow in a field [well car layby] about 2 in the morning doing some bino viewing] and a guy and his girlfreind stopped to ask if i was geocaching as apparently i was near their "cache" and they were going to give me a hint [a bit like hide and seek with gps:)] told them what i was doing let them have a look with the bins and we parted on a bit of a high [i found out about geocaches and they got to see jupiter and a half decent 1/4 moon] so at least we know wer'e not the only weirdo's in the world:) apparently "cachers" do a lot of night time looking as they don't want to be caught finding their treasure trove.I am trying to say that i reckon there's very few axe murderers on the loose in britain and probaly less than we imagine.

It's just the night that brings out the worst from your imagination. Honestly, all this stuff about weapons needs to go back inside the telly where it came from.

When I started doing this years ago I was sometimes spooked at night right outside my rather remote house. Now it would never occur to me to be uncomfortable. Nothing has changed except me. I like having my lovely dog around but she's the only one who has ever been hurt at night. She went after a wild boar 'Hey, fancy running around for a bit? Wag Wag.' And she got cut open the length of her rib cage, bless her.

This fear of the night is one of the main causes of light pollution. People think you are crazy if you don't want 'security lighting' all around you. But where are the most dangerous places at night? Highly illuminated inner cities.

Astronomers need to lead the way in rehabilitating the night as a fine and natural place. Begin with your own self.

Olly

the best thing to do is start chanting like a manic devil worshiper....learn star names such as:

Alpha, Beta, Theta Orion

Stars of Leo in the shape of a Lion....etc. etc

the darkness, the red headtorch and a big white rocket launcher in the twilight should do the trick to see them off.

the best thing to do is start chanting like a manic devil worshiper....learn star names such as:

Alpha, Beta, Theta Orion

the darkness, the red headtorch and a big white rocket launcher in the twilight should do the trick to see them off.

:)

This

Honestly, all this stuff about weapons needs to go back inside the telly where it came from.

Olly

and this

Fear of the dark - no, I am an Astronomer.

Fear of wild animals - no, Britain's worst is maybe a slightly angry badger. Nothing to get into a flap about.

Fear of ghosties - no because they don't exist.

Fear of idiots of the human persuasion - possibly.

Well said!!!:)

Alpha, Beta, Theta Orion

3Ggb_NIhLB4

I'm normally too busy to notice any body/sounds around me when out. The fact that I normally talk to myself when viewing, telling myself what to do, where to look, and even shouting 'cor blimey look at that' to no-one is probably enough to make any would be attacker walk away..........

[i found out about geocaches and they got to see jupiter and a half decent 1/4 moon] so at least we know wer'e not the only weirdo's in the world:)

Lol, great, I'm a double weirdo then! My wife and daughter enjoy geocaching more than I do but I'm the only driver :)

We don't do much geocaching in the dark (and DEFINATELY NOT on a clear night!) but last Saturday evening we did a group of caches in a dark wood out of necessity. Tiny reflective markers were at eye level on tree trunks and you needed to do a 360 with a torch to find the next one and eventually get to the cache! That series was actually a little different to the norm and lots of fun. :)

Lol, great, I'm a double weirdo then! My wife and daughter enjoy geocaching more than I do but I'm the only driver :)

We don't do much geocaching in the dark (and DEFINATELY NOT on a clear night!) but last Saturday evening we did a group of caches in a dark wood out of necessity. Tiny reflective markers were at eye level on tree trunks and you needed to do a 360 with a torch to find the next one and eventually get to the cache! That series was actually a little different to the norm and lots of fun. :)

nice! have tried a few since my intro with the 2 peeps but all i found was 2 small waterlogged containers with slugs and a bit of paper with some scribbles

Going out with weapons! Are you being serious! Since when have astronomers been thugs and yobs?

The ones I know are mostly weird enough to scare the average nut off without a weapon :) Paranoia is best remedied by going out with a friend if you can't cope with ghosts, bats and bunny rabbits.

Then of course there are those aliens that may come and take you away to do a cavity search....:)

I dont think talk of arming oneself veiled in jest or not is appropriate to be honest. The sensible thing to do if you are worried about dark site observing is to do the rational things which to me are:

1) Go in groups or with a society/friend

2) Avoid areas that are popular with unsavoury characters/activities

3) Let someone know where/when you are observing particuarly if alone

4) Get your very expensive equipment insured

5) Know your location, sounds silly but really get to know it in the light then you may be less surprised or spooked by stuff in the dark!

@littlebeagle I live close to you and if you ever want to go to a dark site I would be happy to accompany you when/if mutually beneficial? Send me pm if you like :)

No, never - but then again my "dark sky" location is the home to Norwich Astro Society, so despite the screech of an owl or the bark of the monkjack deer, am more wary of the journey home along the B road after an evening's observing.

Perhaps there's an opportunity for the Forum to set up an "Astro Buddy Wanted" section. Have camped alone in Exmoor and Wales; the scariest thing I've encountered were some hippy's at Hay on Wye who were out of their heads on magic mushrooms oh and a cow licking the flysheet of my tent...from inside I had no idea...

It's just the night that brings out the worst from your imagination. Honestly, all this stuff about weapons needs to go back inside the telly where it came from.

When I started doing this years ago I was sometimes spooked at night right outside my rather remote house. Now it would never occur to me to be uncomfortable. Nothing has changed except me. I like having my lovely dog around but she's the only one who has ever been hurt at night. She went after a wild boar 'Hey, fancy running around for a bit? Wag Wag.' And she got cut open the length of her rib cage, bless her.

This fear of the night is one of the main causes of light pollution. People think you are crazy if you don't want 'security lighting' all around you. But where are the most dangerous places at night? Highly illuminated inner cities.

Astronomers need to lead the way in rehabilitating the night as a fine and natural place. Begin with your own self.

Olly

I completely agree!

I can just see the story in the papers...

"2 ASTRONOMERS KILLED!!

Late last night, 2 unrelated local astronomers stabbed each other to death with make-shift weapons, each believing the other was a thug, after they bumped into one another at a local dark site. Police say poor visibility on the ground due to the late hour and subsequent lack of sunlight was the cause. " :)

Archived