Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hi

pajr777

Hi all,

Just popping in to say hi before posting a question in the beginners forum :)

I've been in the back garden a couple of times with my daughter recently after being asked about the bright Venus and Jupiter which have been following the sun down of late.

I've been able to show her Orion, Ursa Major, and a few of the bright stars in the early evening sky, along with Mars and the aforementioned planets. I was quite proud to be able to remember about half a dozen star names and a similar number of constellation names :)

It'd difficult with the binos, she wasn't able to track down from Orion's belt to the Orion Nebula, so I decided *we* needed to get a scope :icon_salut: Purely for educational reasons! I've had a passing interest in casual astronomy since my childhood, and I'm going to get a lot of satisfaction by expanding my own knowledge and sharing some of that with my young daughter.

So, that's me. Into yet another new hobby :)

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi and welcome to the forum. To help you find your way around the sky, you might wish to download some free planetarium software called "Stellarium" here. Its easy to use and will also help you identify what you are looking at. Has a nice date/time advance feature which will help you plan your observations by revealing when objects are going to appear above the horizon - particularly useful if you view is restricted in anyway.

Clear skies in the meantime.

James

Thanks all! Such a warm welcome, I know I'm in the right place :)

Tonight went like this:

D: "Dad, has the scope arrived?"

P: "Not yet, hopefully this week sometime"

D: "Can we go stargazing with Mum's binoculars?"

P: "Well it's a bit late for a school night, maybe for 5 mins after homework"

D: *breezes through homework!*

We go out at 18:50 and before my eyes have adjusted in the slightest I've been pointed out Orion's Belt by my daughter! Oh to have young eyes :)

Venus has taken the high road over Jupiter and Mars is peeking out over the hedge in the East, all three correctly pointed out by my 5 year old.

A short test for Dad, who (I think) correctly named the pointed out stars of Castor and Pollux (not sure if I got them the right way round), Sirius, Beetle Juice (a favourite), Rigel and Capella (Or was it Aldebaran?).

I'm itching to get my hands on the scope now, really looking forward to the Pleiades and Orion Nebula for starters :icon_salut:

Archived