So I have the scope but what comes next?

Hi, I ended up getting a scope given to me an Astrotek Newtonian Refractor (what it sais in the instructions), it's new and unused, I have followed the instructions to assemble it and there doesnt appear to be anything missing.

I was going to try and set the finderscope but I can't see anything through the actual scope itself, the instructions are useless!

It comes with an Erecting EP and from memory I think it was a 4mm, 12.5m and a 20mm. I have been using the 20mm for trying to set it up.

As far as im aware all caps have been removed (I have checked lots. lol) and i've put the erecting eye piece in to the scope and then the 20mmEP into that, i'm assuming this is the way it's supposed to be otherwise the 20mm wouldn't attach to the scope?

Another query, it sais it's a refractor of Newtonian design in the blurb but from what I can tell the mirror is at the bottom of the tube and the viewing point is at the top on the side, wouldn't this be a reflector?

Sorry for the stupid questions, but it's my 1st time trying to use 1 and the instructions are no help. Can anybody suggest where im going wrong please? Thank you

I haven't heard of this model and can't google it, can you please post a link.

Anyway, based on the information you provided, it is indeed a Newtonian reflector which is a subclass of reflector telescope (mirror only). Newtonian reflector are viewed from the side, are other types of reflectors are viewed from the bottom.

I'd suggest trying it without the erecting eyepiece and use the 25mm on your scope. I'd also suggest taking your scope to a local astronomical society and let them teach you how to use it. There is only so much we can help over the internet. It's much easier to diagnose the problem when we get hands on.

Try shining a light down it when you observe, if you can't see a direct lgiht it probably needs colimating, ss the secondary mirror won't be alligned. Again, point it at something large, bright and far away(terrestrial is good too) and see if you can achieve focus. At night, if you're wildly out of focus it may as well be black.

I'd check by making sure that each part of the light path is clear. The light comes into the open end of the tube, bounces off the large primary mirror at the bottom, then back up to the angled secondary mirror at the top, then through the focuser tube and through your eyepiece. Make sure there are no obstructions here. Hold up your eyepiece to the light and make sure you can see light through it.

When you take the eyepiece out of the focuser, can you look straight in and see the reflection of the large primary mirror in the angled secondary mirror?

If everything seems clear, then try your scope outside, pointing it at a distant object during the day--like a church tower. You likely won't be able to focus on anything nearby, so pick something really far. Whatever you do, don't point anywhere near the sun or you risk blindness.

After you've tried these things, come back to this thread and tell us what you saw. Did you see black through the EP? Did you see an unfocussed image? At that point, maybe someone will be able to give you more specific advice.

Well unfortunatley there is nothing to google, the internet hasn't heard of this scope either. It was a rather unwise purchase from somebody addicted to BidTV (my dad) about a year ago. He very kindly offered it to me and I didnt have the heart to turn him down, I figured it would do for now till the 1 I was after was back in stock.

The info I do have is that it's an Astrotek 76 made by Terratek, Aperture 76mm and Focal Length of 700mm. And like I said it describes it as a "newtonian refractor which uses 2 lenses" from what I can see theres a mirror at the bottom and a plastic spider at the top near the eyepiece which im assuming has another mirror?

My next society meeting is tomoro night but I was just hoping to get a better understanding before I went. I will take it if I dont have any luck on here...

Thanks for the reply though

Where in Lincoln are you?

If not too far from me I could pop over and let you know.

Sounds like you have a REFLECTOR and the wrong instruction manual. (reflectors don't use lenses, the eyepieces do though)

Sounds like you have a REFLECTOR and the wrong instruction manual.

Yes well thats where my confusion started but you're confirming my suspicions, I think it's the right manual just with all the wrong info, BidTV got to love them! LOL

Im based in Lincoln itself in the Monks Rd area, if its too far out of the way for you I can come to you, i'll PM you my info. Thanks for the offer.

Thanks very much for the all the replies guys

Sounds like you have a REFLECTOR and the wrong instruction manual. (reflectors don't use lenses, the eyepieces do though)

It's common to see permanently fitted barlow in low cost Newtonian with spherical mirror. It increases the focal length and f ratio of the scope to reduce aberration associated with using spherical mirror. Scope of this design is generally not recommended.

It said x2 barlow, it was x3.

it said newtonian refractor lol

It is actually a really nice little scope, the optics are quality.

It gas .965" eyepieces but a 1.25" focuser. after a search we found an adapter. :)

It will be great for planets and the moon.

I will let Toejam explain the seeing problem if he wishes. ;p

Nice evening, good to meet you Kelvin.

Sounds like a small reflector. Should give nice views of the moon, the rings of Saturn and the moons of Jupiter..Should also let you see some nice double stars...The mounts and lining it up can be a challenge to start with!

Good luck

Mark

^This guy is a star (pun not intended), came over last night sorted my issue out and explained alot to me, very friendly. A credit to the forum!

The 3D pics on his 3DS were fantastic, if you haven't seen them check out his thread, it's in this section.

Thanks again Ken!

It was no problem at all and I had a nice evening! Small world is Lincoln!

You should let me know when you are next going to the Lincoln Astronomers society and I will come along too.

PS the "Wragby star party" sounds awesome :)

Archived